Logitech cordless iTouch & Win2k

Thread: Logitech cordless iTouch & Win2k

Logitech cordless iTouch & Win2k

Tranfered from a different topic:

There is a problem with my Logitech iTouch cordless keyboard and my Logitech cordless wheel mouse. The latest drivers and softwares are not really working well with Win2k even if they say so. The keyboard software does not report the battery status correctly and the Logitech mouseware does not show it at all... The devices are not even recognized well in Device Manager and changing them to their real components names does not fis the battery report problem. I am surprised about this because usually, Logitech is always up-to-date with their drivers. Oy yes, did I mention my web cam was also a Logitech one?...

I hope it could help some users with the same problem. Thanks all for your prompt answers.

First answer: jremillard
    Hi Cybersiberian,
    I guess cyclone and I sort of usurped your thread. My apologies.
    I am pleased to hear that you didn't have to do a clean install. My thinking is that the registry got "cleaned" (for want of a better word). when you did the repair.
    Now as for drivers: How is the KBD and mouse connected to the machine? It can't be by regular PS2 those drivers are pretty independent of whose hardware is hanging on them. Is the mouse or KBD a USB connect?

Reply:Cyber
    You were right. The keyboard and mouse are PS2 devices. But, what I don't understand is that both were working fine previously under Win 98 se and Windows Me. Why does that not work with Win2k SP1?

Actually, the devices are working. It's just that I don't get the battery status and I also get a message when I shut down my computer saying: The device keyboard failed to initialize when... sort of.

2nd answer: jremillard
    I am going to have to look up the specs on the KBD. Do you have the model number/ I appreciate your patience about us "stealing" the focus on the thread, so please post the model #'s and I'll do some research for you. like you said Logitech is fair to middlin' at driver updates and documentation regarding conflicts and dependencies.

Reply: Cyber
    Hi jremillard,
    Keyboard:

Logitech Cordless itouch Keyboard
    Model number: Y-RB6 RT7R00 V:5XTW

(Not shown correctly under Device Manager, shown as Easy Internet Keyboard.
    Drivers:
    C:\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.SYS (Microsoft)v. 5.00.2192.1
    C:\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\itchfltr.sys (Logitech)v. 1.51.58
    C:\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
    (Microsoft)v. 5.00.2164.1

Mouse:

Logitech Cordless Wheel Mouse
    Model number: M-RK45

(Not shown correctly under Device Manager, shown as Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2.

Drivers:
    C:\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.SYS (Microsoft)v. 5.00.2192.1
    C:\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\L8042pr2.sys (Logitech)v. 9.20.1.17
    C:\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\lkbdflt2.sys
    (Logitech)v. 9.20.1.5
    C:\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\lmouflt2.sys
    (Logitech)v. 9.20.1.25
    C:\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
    (Microsoft)v. 5.00.2139.1
    C:\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\icoinst.dll(Logitech)v. 9.24.69

Both devices run with batteries and are transmitting to a receiver which is connected to the PS/2 ports of the computer.

Receiver:

Logitech Cordless Desktop
    Model number: C-RD3 DUAL

This is the message I get regarding my keyboard problem when I shutdown Win2k:

In the status bar of the window: it is written: kbdtray.exe DLL initialization failed
    In the window itself, it is written:
    The application failed to initialize because the windows station is shutting down.

3rd answer: jremillard
    I think both these things run a USB to PS/2 converter. I wonder what would happen if you put an USB hub on your USB port and then ran both devices or their or the IR pickup device into the hub, so you bypassed the PS/2 drivers?
    Anyway i am still looking. Have you also checked here: http://www.logitech.com/cf/support/28.cfm

Also, cyclone did some excellent in-depth research into the VDD registry problem, isolated it to a Symantic issue, and resolved both our problems -- Well done,cyc! Cyclone has posted a seperate thread on it: http://discussions.virtualdr.com/For...ML/002949.html

Later,
    Joe Remillard

Reply: Cyber
    I already have a USB hub connected to my computer since I don't have the chance to have the latest motherboard with the i815 chipset (which already have 4 USB ports on the board!). I have my graphic tablet and my web cam and my internal home network connected to it. But I still have one port available on the hub plus one on the motherboard, so I could do what you suggested to me.
    But, what is a USB to PS/2 converter? You think it would runs, but are you sure? If so, where can I find such thing?

So, any suggestion?

------------------
    System: PII-800, 512Meg Ram, Asus AGP-6800 Gforce 64 Meg RAM, 90 GIG. 7200 HD, Running Win2k SP1
    System: P4-1.7GZ, 512Meg Rambus, Asus V-8200, HD 120 GB. 7200 HD, ViewSonic PF815, 24x Burner, Pioneer DVD Burner, SB Live 5.1, Firewire Card, etc. Running Win2k SP2.

Hello? Are they still any users here?
    System: P4-1.7GZ, 512Meg Rambus, Asus V-8200, HD 120 GB. 7200 HD, ViewSonic PF815, 24x Burner, Pioneer DVD Burner, SB Live 5.1, Firewire Card, etc. Running Win2k SP2.

Where are you jremillard? Did you find any answers for me? What about the other users? Nobody experienced this?

Have you gone to Logitech's site for the latest drivers?
    Did you uninstall both Logitech mouse and keyboard and reinstall after booting, using your latest drivers?
    I run a dual-boot with Me on C:\ and W2K on D:\ with Logitech’s on both, no problems except after installing my cd-rw (HP 9050i) then I just reinstalled them and it has worked fine since.
    Here is Logitech's latest mouse driver page for W2K:
    http://www.logitech.com/cf/support/mousefiles_w2000.cfm

And there Keyboard page:
    http://www.logitech.com/cf/support/kybdfiles_itouch.cfm

Hope this helps, if not repost and I or someone else here will help.

LOL

SGTUSMC

SEMPER FI

What do you have for Keyboard and mouse?
    Are they the same than mine? Are they cordless and do Win2k display the battery levels correctly for both devices. If you read my first post in this thread, you will say that I'm actually running the latest drivers... Read it more attentively!

I treid uninstall and reinstall without success. Win2k does not recognize the correct equipment and if I try to change them according to the thread on the Logitech site, it does not work either.

Nice try.

Since you didn't list what version or date your latest drivers were I gave you the sites to help, not upset you.
    This is a self-help site and you get good advice here along with not so good; but remember it is still FREE.
    What I am using is 900B99EN.EXE, version 2.1.13.0 for my Cordless II Wheelmouse and SETITUP.EXE, version 2.1.13.0 for my Cordless iTouch Keyboard.
    Lost all Logitech functions after installing my cd-rw HP 9350i, but after reinstalling the above listed drivers everything worked again.
    After installing Diablo II lost the functions again and now just let W2K install there own.
    Scroll and navigation buttons work fine with W2K drivers so I have opted to leave them.

Hope this helps.

SGTUSMC
    SEMPER FI

You did not answer my question about if you battery level was showing in Win2k.

I don't know what versions you are talking about because I use the latest ones as listed at the beginning of this thread.

900B99EN.EXE, version 2.1.13.0 for my Cordless II Wheelmouse

Mine is Mouseware 9.24 buid 80 as listed on Logitech site (and on the link you're refering to in your previous post)

SETITUP.EXE, version 2.1.13.0 for my Cordless iTouch Keyboard.

Mine is v1.52 build 73 as listed on Logitech site (and on the link you're refering to in your previous post)

If you lost the functions of the devices, why are you trying to help me out? You're confusing me instead of helping me.

To answer your question, yes Logitech's software installation did show all the functions including battery status. I just uninstalled it and let W2K load there own because my son uses my comp for Diablo II multi-player and he says the mouse works better when setup with W2K drivers from Microsoft. Some gaming function he likes.
    Question? In your first thread you said that your mouse and keyboard both worked in W98se and WinMe. Did you just install over your last operating system or did you do a format and fresh install? Reason for my question is I had a system crash that I had just installed W2K over itself, which worked except for the cd-rw and Logitech software which gave me an error on closing. Don't remember if the error was the same as yours but the Device Manager listed both of them incorrectly like yours does.
    To get mine working again I followed the uninstall instructions I found here:
    http://www.logitech.com/cf/support/1560.cfm

They worked and I was able to reinstall the latest mouseware software, same as yours and it all worked again.
    One thing I did do was to remove all Logitech hardware; shutdown and restarted and let W2K install its own drivers before reinstalling Logitech's software.
    Software problems can and do drive people crazy: myself included.
    Hope this helps,

SGTUSMC

p.s. Post all your system specs and maybe I can see some conflict that you are missing
    SEMPER FI

Thread Information