How do I do a "clean install"?

Thread: How do I do a "clean install"?

How do I do a "clean install"?

I currently am running Windows 95 on a system that was used by a previous owner, so there is a lot of clutter on the drive, but I'm not sure which files I need and which I can get rid of. I'm looking to upgrade to either NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 when released, and have heard of doing a "clean install". Does this just mean formatting the hard drive and installing everything from scratch? If so, what are the essential files I need on the boot up floppy? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Well that would all depend on what you have on the hard drive now, and if you want to save it. If you have CD's to reinstall all your other programs, then I would suggest a complete format and virgin install of the new version of windows. However I would wait until you actually have the new version, so you can make sure you have the id necessary to qualify for an upgrade vs the price of a full copy.

If you are installing a new OS, it is always better to install on a clean drive, when ever possible. However in many cases the individual has so much installed on the drive now, that he prefers to keep his existing apps. Kinda like painting a car. If you want to get the best job, then you want to sand down to practically the bare metal. Of course that is a lot more work then just a quick wet sanding, and that will usually produce a decent product. Now don't go buying emery cloth for your hard drive, that was just a fer instance.

]"

------------------
    The undersigned makes no Warranty, nor does He Promise that all remedies suggested will work on each and every machine. If after trying the recommendations your Car wont start, please don't send me an E-Mail.

Snarkie

jtmurphy Guest
    Yep, Snarkie right on target, a Bare Drive, completely naked will run better, smoother with a Clean Coat of a new Operating System installed.

But as he said, when ya sand it down (Format) that sucker there won't be a lick of data on it - completely clean.

Thats the way to go, if you have your programs backed up or the original disk for them.

Simplest way is download a bootdisk from:

http://www.bootdisk.com , get the "98" one.

Boot with this disk and you can re-partition your disk, reformat, load your cdrom drivers so ya can get to it to reinstall the O/S.

Now this disk will not work for NT and not sure about 2000. So if thats what ya want to do, wait until you decide which one ya want.

For my $$$$$$$$$ Windows 95 OSR2 "B" version is the best one, better then "98" and NT.

Murf

------------------
    Murphy's Law- it will go wrong, but we can fix it!!
    but if it ain't broke - "Leave it alone"
    http://www.sybercom.net/jtmurphy/index.htm

Thanks guys--a clean install it is!

Please excuse my lack of knowledge but I am also thinking of formatting my C:\drive ,but I was wondering about the dos system. Does that reinstall itself or does it still stay in the comp totally unnafected by the reformat?

For some good instructions on doing a "Fresh Start Install Procedure", check out what Al Otero has to offer:
    http://www.citlink.net/~otero/freshstart.html

jtmurphy Guest
    Tiggy,

Format means you wipe ALL information from the hard drive - EVERYTHING.

You do not need DOS to run or install Windows 95.

If the page gfbrown doesn't help go to mine.

Murf

------------------
    Murphy's Law- it will go wrong, but we can fix it!!
    but if it ain't broke - "Leave it alone"
    http://www.sybercom.net/jtmurphy/index.htm

Tiggy, when you format the HD, it for all intents and purposes erases everything on your hard drive. If you have an install disk, then when you install windows, it will automatically install the dos files. You can make the disk bootable if you wish by using the /s switch when you format. Example:

format c: /s

This will copy the system files on the the hard drive. However if you are installing windows, then I would recommend not installing any system files, and let the windows installation take care of that.

You always want to make sure you have a bootable floppy to install with anyway.

]"

------------------
    The undersigned makes no Warranty, nor does He Promise that all remedies suggested will work on each and every machine. If after trying the recommendations your Car wont start, please don't send me an E-Mail.

Snarkie

Thread Information