A shortcut that won't go away

Thread: A shortcut that won't go away

A shortcut that won't go away

a month ago I switch internet providers. I deleted all the setup programs that came with the cd,but didn't delete the short cut on my desktop.dumb, yes Iknow.now i can't get the short cut out of my computer.left clicking on the icon onlybrings up create short cut.Is there any way to kill this thing? thanx jerman

------------------
    jerman
    jerman

Have you tried dragging the shortcut to your recyle bin?

Howdy
    Is it in the startup folder??
    Right click start, select Open, double click programs, double click startup,
    If it in here right click on it and select delete.

Hope this helps

Sometimes dragging won't work with certain browser icons. If it doesn't for yours, open Windows Explorer, left click on "Desktop" at the top of the left pane, and you can either right click on the shortcut in the right pane, or use the drop down file menu to select available options including delete.

Single click the icon then hit the delete key. Thats right the delete key deletes.

Poster on another board had a similar problem. The answer someone provided which did the trick was this: Boot to pure DOS and delete it as follows: Say your shortcut is called antidisestablishmentarianism.lnk
    Go to folder c:\windows\desktop, and type del antidi~1.lnk (that's the first 6 characters of the file name followed by ~1. Hit Enter.

to all that re: thanx you all ,but nothing worked. In my above posting I meant to type right clicking on Icon. sorry for that .lee meindl your tip ending up just producing "bad command or file name". thanx once again jerman

------------------
    jerman
    jerman

You can do it staight from Explorer too. Just tried it. C:\Windows\Desktop\ select your shortcut and delete. I tried it with programs that are running... (after copying the files to another directory as backup of course, in my case). You could select your shortcut, click on properties inside explorer and make sure it's not read-only or anything crazy like that.

------------------
    Just trying to give others a friendly hand.
    Just trying to give others a friendly hand.

Thread Information