Problem:

Error 633: The port is in use or not configured for the RAS dial up.

Details:

I use a winmodem with the latest driver from Internet. But the nt station o/s is in service pack 1. I don't know if that
could cause my problem (there is service pack6 now).

I followed the Help menu to config Dial-up Networking and RAS, with all needed info (phone # and IPs for my ISP). I got the Error 633.

Since by default the installed winmodem uses COM3, but no Com3 in Ports, so I added Com3, then re-boot. Same error message.

The [More info] button on the error box say see "Reconfiguring dial-up networking". There is no such heading in Help menu.

I checked the Event Viewer, it says "The controler register for com3 overlaps with the com1 controller".

I tried com4, got another set of Error codes:

1. Error 711. Connot load the remote Access connection manager service. RasMan installization failure. Check the event log.

when I clicked [ok], another one:
2. Application error: rasphone.exe at 0x77f8826f referenced memory at 0x000018. the memory cannot be read.

When I changed the port to Com3, Error 633 comes back.

I also tried followed the Help Menu's instructions under "Dial-up" -->"Connect to the Internet". It asks to do the same steps
as in Dial-up Networking, plus config the network card. I don't have a NIC. Is that the problem?

I have checked the Tech Support for NT station 4.0 on MS site (with my win98 internet dial-up connection). Every
step is same (done).

My ISP doesn't give tech support NT dial-up, but confirm it can be done. I just want to set up a intranet at home.

I have also checked this site, and did not find any posting with the same error code.

[This message has been edited by johin (edited 12-27-99).]

Post note:

I have got a confirmation that NT station SP1 lact mmodem support for ISP dial-up. Now I decide to order the latest patch, NT 4.0 SP6a CD. Case closed.

[This message has been edited by johin (edited 12-29-99).]