windows system files - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: windows system files

Hate to say 'do as you're told', but.... ;-(
    Sounds like your system is messed up and it ain't gonna change unless you take some action which will include downloading recent updates and such.... may help, may not... your choice. Maybe in the process you'll become more computer literate!
    You may also need to rebuild the icon cache from the sounds of it... check the following link.... http://www.techadvice.com/w98/I/Icon...le-rebuild.htm Instead of deleting it I'd rename it, just in case. Call it iconcacheold or something....

------------------
    "Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!" Emo P.
    Windows 10 on: ~Asus P5B-E ~Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz ~G. Skill (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 ~EVGA 7900GTX ~Kingston SSD (for the OS) ~Western Digital 650GB Hard Drive (Data), Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/Klipsh 2.1 Pro Media Speakers ~ Twin BenQ FP202W 20.1" LCD's

Originally posted by Abhoth:
    Hate to say 'do as you're told', but.... ;-(
    Sounds like your system is messed up and it ain't gonna change unless you take some action which will include downloading recent updates and such.... may help, may not... your choice

May help, may not, just don't cut it, as for doing what I'm told, only a sucker does that.Is there nothing I can do to restore the settings, without downloading??

what settings?

If you aren't running Millenium or XP, that have System Restore, and you don't have GoBack installed, there are no settings to restore.

You could restore a prior registry in MS-DOS through the Scanreg /restore command, but I doubt that would fix anything.

How long ago did this happen, and was it after installing nerw software, or removing an application?

Originally posted by triggerwoods:
    As for doing what I'm told, only a sucker does that.
    That makes helping you pretty complicated...Meanwhile, it's 2.42 am here, and I'm turning in.

Maybe someone else will come up with an idea you do like...

Greetz, Tony

Originally posted by Kleinkramer:
    what settings?

If you aren't running Millenium or XP, that have System Restore, and you don't have GoBack installed, there are no settings to restore.

Check back on this conversation.I am thick when it comes to comp knowhow.But I am not gullible. Is there no quick fix???????????????????

if there was a "quick fix" you would already be fixed by now. you say you are tired of downloading things. try and think back to the last thing you DID download, then try to uninstall it. might help?

------------------
    "If it ain't broke, work on it til it is"
    if it aint broke, work on it til it is

These people are the best. Just do what they tell you, or don't ask for help.

Abby's right: if there was a quick fix, don't you think we'd have mentioned it?

For the moment we're trying to troubleshoot your problem.
    As long as we don't know exactly what's up (and this is always hard, not having your computer here, and not knowing your exact configuration, etcetera), we can only proceed one step at the time.

And if you balk at everything we propose, we're not not going to get anywhere.

Once again, there's no risk to installing MDAC.

Once again, there's no risk to installing MDAC.[/B][/QUOTE]

OK, I have now downloaded the MDAC. While loading onto comp once again it flashed up the warning ODBC cannot load the resource WINDOWS/SYSTEM and then the setup failed. After a little digging around, I found the setup log, it said that my system is missing required setup engine. Any ideas???? Becoming more comp literate by the second PS I have just run system file checker, just about every file has been altered

[This message has been edited by triggerwoods (edited 02-03-2002).]

Originally posted by sf1112:
    These people are the best. Just do what they tell you, or don't ask for help.
    I hope no-one in here tells you jump of a cliff, know what I mean

setupx.dll (version 4.10.2222) is corrupt or missing.

Originally posted by lukeg:
    setupx.dll (version 4.10.2222) is corrupt or missing.
    Any ideas how I get it back or uncorrupt it, damn comp

1) Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.

2) In the Named box, type "setupx.dll" (without quotation marks), and then click Find Now.

3) In the list of found files, right-click the file, click Rename, name it Setupx.old, and then press ENTER.

Quit the Find tool.

4) Extract a new copy of the Setupx.dll file from your Windows 98 CD-ROM to the Windows\System folder using the System File Checker tool:

Make sure your Windows CD-ROM's in the drive.
    Go to Start/run, and type SFC.
    Choose 'Extract One File From Installation Disk'.
    Type setupx.dll, not worrying about its location. Then, click Start.

Next to 'Restore From', type in or browse for the file’s location, which is probably in the Win98 folder of your installation CD-ROM (typically D:\Win98). Then, next to 'Save File In', enter C:\Windows\System, and click OK. System File Checker looks for the file, saves it as you requested, and then tells you that 'the file has been successfully extracted'.

Good luck, Tony

[This message has been edited by Kleinkramer (edited 02-03-2002).]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kleinkramer:
    [b]1) Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.

2) In the Named box, type "setupx.dll" (without quotation marks), and then click Find Now.

3) In the list of found files, right-click the file, click Rename, name it Setupx.old, and then press ENTER.

This gets better and better....NOT. I can't even get passed first base. It won't let me re-name it, says it is in use by windows. I REALLY appreciate your help, but if ya feel like giving up on me, I wouldn't blame you.

[quote]Originally posted by triggerwoods:
    [b]
    Originally posted by Kleinkramer:
    1) Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.

This gets better and better....NOT. I can't even get passed first base. It won't let me re-name it, says it is in use by windows. I REALLY appreciate your help, but if ya feel like giving up on me, I wouldn't blame you.

Thread Information