windows system files
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: windows system files

windows system files

Some of my system files have been changed and my comp isn't behaving correctly. When going into Control Panel, it says "ODBC cannot load the resource WINDOWS/SYSTEM". Other problems include, Icons in folders bunch up all the time so they are on top of each other, comp wont shut down. Is there anyway that I can sort this out? Many thanks for your help in advance.

Hi,

Download and install the latest version of the Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC). This package updates all ODBC and the newer OLE DB drivers and resources on the system. The latest version of MDAC can be downloaded from the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm

I recommend MDAC 2.7 RTM

Good luck, Tony

Thanks a lot it's been driving me mad.

Well I do not even know what it is doing in the "Control Panel", I tried to get rid of it via the "add/remove icon, as far as the accessaries I installed on thisparticular PC, it does not belong, like in sesame street, I can hide it by deleting a cpl file but I may update it thanks to "Kleinkramer" theory, it is like a SQL server or something, I don`t know, If I can create a interactive web page for free and surf the net, maybe even telnet occassionally to confuse people, what the hell this "thing"is doing in the CONTROL PANEL, is a mytery I think I will solve much later.

Something else: have you had your system scanned on line already?

That certainly culdn't hurt.

Try http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/activescan.asp? or
    Trend Micro HouseCall : http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

Good luck,

No virus detected So I guess something I downloaded has changed some files, I have deleted all recently downloaded files, but the problem remains. Is there anyway of restoring default settings?

Have you installed MDAC now?

And why are you assuming that
    'some of your system files have changed'?

Are you getting any other error messages?

You could run System File Checker, and check for altered and missing files.

Leave those replaced by more recent versions.

Greetz, Tony

I have run system file checker, this said some files have been altered, but when I try to reinstall, the file path can not be found.Even with the win 98 disk in the tray. I gave up on the mdac download, it was taking so long.

I gave up on the mdac download, it was taking so long.

[/B]
    It probably depends on how much you want to get rid of your problem...

Good luck, Tony

Originally posted by triggerwoods:
    Some of my system files have been changed and my comp isn't behaving correctly. When going into Control Panel, it says "ODBC cannot load the resource WINDOWS/SYSTEM". Other problems include, Icons in folders bunch up all the time so they are on top of each other, comp wont shut down. Is there anyway that I can sort this out? Many thanks for your help in advance.
    These are Serious problems, read it again."When going into [Control Panel], it says ODBC cannot load the resource WINDOWS/SYSTEM. Other problems include, Icons in folders bunch up all the time so they are on top of each other, computer wont shut down".

Originally posted by lukeg:
    These are Serious problems, read it again
    I know, and I'm ready and willing to try and help.

However, I don't think we can do it without Triggerwood's cooperation...

Greetz, Tony

However, I don't think we can do it without Triggerwood's cooperation...

If I wasn't ready to cooperate, I wouldn't have asked for help. Forgive me if I am a little hesitant to download anything else, as this seems to be the cause of all my problems. All I was after was a quick fix, if this is not possible, then please tell me. Is it not possible to correct the problem without downloading some other programme??

MDAC is just updates for a number of important Windows Files. It's not a 'program' in your sense of the word.

Read this: Release Manifest for MDAC 2.7 RTM

I installed MDAC 2.7 two weeks ago myself.

In your case, it's a particularly good idea. I can't guarantee it'll solve your problem, but it certainly updates the files in question

Read this: [URL=http://www.microsoft.com/data/MDAC27info/en/readme.htm]Release Manifest for MDAC 2.7

I installed MDAC 2.7 two weeks ago myself.

In your case, it's a particularly good idea. I can't guarantee it'll solve your problem, but it certainly updates the files in question[/B][/QUOTE]

I have just read this, there are a lot of KNOWN ISSUE'S, not being completly comp literate, how can I be sure?? I appreciate all the help, but I don't want to dig my self in any deeper out of my depth. Basically I'm scared of downloading anything else now.

In this life, there's absolutely no guarantee that nothing untoward will ever happen to you , unfortunately.

However, installing MDAC is not one of the more hazardous things you could do...

Thread Information