Windows Freezes after Startup and Loading is Finished!

Thread: Windows Freezes after Startup and Loading is Finished!

Windows Freezes after Startup and Loading is Finished!

Although it will probably hard to figure out what the problem is with the little information I can give you, I am curious if anyone else has had a similar problem...

I can boot into Safe Mode fine, but I can't seem to boot into regular Windows.

Startup is normal and windows loads fine. Once windows has loaded I see the box asking for the password and my windows background as usual. If I wait at that screen once the loading is finished (and sometimes a little after all the loading has finished) the computer freezes. I can't move the, I can't Ctrl-Alt-Del, I can't do anything but hit the restart button.

I can however quickly type in my password and hit enter and get into windows. My destop and everthing else loads up. But once loading has stopped and the computer is no longer processing the computer freezes, just like it would if I left it at the authentication screen. I can "trick" the computer by qucikly opening up My Computer, going to C:/ and duplicating a large folder. It keeps the computer processing and the computer won't freeze, but eventually after a while it will just randomly restart.

I have disabled ALL unessecary programs on the startup through msconfig and still the computer freezes.

I don't think it is a hardware problem because safemode works fine, but then again it still could be.

I am really hoping that someone can at least lead me in the right direction if not provide a complete solution.

If I have not provided enough information, please let me know and I will gladly add anything else important that I have forgotten.

Thanks for your time!

Andrew

Oh...by the way, I have had this computer for about 6 months it has worked fine.

It probably is Hardware as in Safe Mode Windows does not load all the drivers. In Safe Mode right click on "My Computer" then to Properties then to Device Manager. Check every entry see any with a red X or yellow mark, then that device is not loading correctly, remove it and reboot.

If that doesn't work, and since you said it was working OK and if you haven't recently added any new software/hardware then restoring the registry may do the trick.

Use the Win 98 Boot Disk which will take you to the A:\Prompt then type the following:

C: (hit <enter> key)
    scanreg /restore (hit <enter> key (Space between reg /)

This should bring up another window, select a registry a couple of days old.

------------------
    Murf

Visit-Murf's Windows Garage

But if it ain't broke - "Break It" - So we can help fix it!
    Please do not use "PM" for personal help, post in forum so everybody can learn

I have installed a few programs recently.

SHould I try uninstalling them?

I have installed a few programs recently.

SHould I try uninstalling them?

Ok, I tried what you suggested Murf, but when I typed out "scanreg /restore" it said bad command or file name.

Does it matter that I made the boot disk while in safe mode??

Thanks for your help

Nevermind...I just needed to go to windows/command before I could run scanreg.

Now it is giving me errors to load thecab files though

No one else has any ideas?

it seems to be obvious something is loading up on start up that causes a conflict. Use safe mode and get into msconfig, ..select start up and uncheck everything in there and see if it will not restart correctly. If it does then use ( a tiresome method) the same system myconfig startup and select one program at a time, eventually you wil find what is starting that cause this. Maybe some one more quailified than I am has a better answer.I do know you can find a program that causes conflicts this way

I tried that and it didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for your help though

Have you looked in Device manager to see if there are any conflicts there?

I just went and checked and there were no problems.

I think the fact that scanreg /restore is not working in command prompt, safemode command prompt, and througha boot disk may mean something.

It always says "Loading Registry..." (or something like that) on the bottom then after a little while it says "System Operation Failed" and when you hit enter it goes back to the command prompt. Could this mean something?

I am not the one here then to know the best way to solve this problem as I would simply reformat C drive and reload windows. Course I understand you will lose everything doing that so hopefully someone out there knows a way to restore the Dos without doing that, I do not.

Just some ideas.
    This may have to do with one of the apps you downloaded if it is video related. It's possible the video card is accelerating too fast.

You mentioned duplicating a large file? I'm curious if you have a donnage of files and folders in 'my documents' if so I would create some new folder and 'move' documents and folder in the new one.

Also have you cleaned out your c:\windows\temp file? temporary internet files and cookies lately?

mach

Thread Information