MS Outlook 2000 .PST e-mail backup problem

Thread: MS Outlook 2000 .PST e-mail backup problem

MS Outlook 2000 .PST e-mail backup problem

I recently reformated my HD to clean up my system that was running slow. I had backed up all of my e-mails and e-mail folders in an Outlook 2000 .PST file and saved the file on a CD-RW disc. I formated and partitioned my HD and installed MS Windows 98 SE and then put in Office 2000. I them placed the file in C:\windows\local settings\application data\Microsoft\outlook' folder before I started Outlook for the first time. I tried to access the file and got these messages, "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" and then "File access is denied. You do not have permission to access file C:\temp\allmail.pst"

I now don't know which way to go now and believe that I have lost all of e-mails that I have save for 2 years. If anybody has any type of suggestion I will take a shot at it!!

when you burned them, the atrributes were changed to read only...
    attributes get copied over as well...
    so all you really need to do is change the attributes...then try seeing it again...
    Mark

Took off the 'Read Only' Att. and tried to open the file through Outlook. I got the error messages "Properties for this information must be defined prior to use" and "The file c:\temp\Allmail.pst is not a personal folder file"

AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

Just looked at the "Outlook.pst" file and saw that the archieve was checked off in the properties section. I checked off "archieve" in my PST file and tried again to open it and got the same messages as above.

I think all is lost

if you saved everything to that PST file...delete the one created by MS outlook (search for *.pst) and then start outlook up...it will ask for a new one and point it to allmail.pst...
    if you're just trying to add in a few messages you saved...try the import wizard (file, Import)
    it sounds like you're just trying to double click the file...?
    Mark

drag that pst. file OFF the cd-rw and onto your desktop and access it there.

The .pst file was off of the CD and on the HD when I tried to open it. It was first on my C:\temp directory when I tried to access it. I then dragged all of the other .PST files out of the 'C:\windows\local settings\application data\Microsoft\outlook' folder and put in its place my .pst file and renamed it Outlook. It still wouldn't open. It kept giving me the error that it's not a .PST file. It is listed as a .PST file and has the same icon as the other .PST files. Could it be corrupt?

have you tried Import&Export?
    Mark

Yep....tried import & Export, File-Open-PST File, and also double click on file itself. I keep getting the same message 'this is not a valad pst file'

Any other ideas??

found http://support.microsoft.com/default...mous%7c4258318

and
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...mous%7c4258318

(copy and paste line by line into browser, I forget how to post MSKB articles)

[This message has been edited by sp agent (edited 02-03-2002).]
    Mark

Well, Thanks for all of the help regarding this Microsoft screwup with saving of e-mails. I have read all of the info y'all passed on to me and it was great! Thanks to all for your help. I read all of the listed MS knowledge base info and tried all that they said. I ran the PST repair tool to try to recover the file. It repaired it, and gave me a bunch of empty file folders. I tried all of the steps in MS KB Q197315 to no avail.

I have officially given up.
    Just wanted to say thanks to all for your help and a note to everybody- DON'T USE ANY TYPE OF MICROSOFT BACKUP UTILITY BECAUSE THEY ARE GARBAGE!!

Thanks
    Heins68

Thread Information