missing or corrupted : cant install windows98

Thread: missing or corrupted : cant install windows98

missing or corrupted : cant install windows98

help, i bought a gateway 2100 off e bay had to put a hard drive in it .when i load the start up disk and choose cd support the cd runs and i start getting ; ( the following file is missing or corrupted aspi2dos.sys
    there is an error in your config.sys fill on line 12 )i get about 15 of these lines then it stops with (the folling file is corrupted :command.com) help me please!

The file aspi2dos.sys is located in BASE5.CAB of the Windows 98 install CD, and it is on a Windows 98 boot floppy (startup disk). If your system is telling you it is corrupt or missing, then I would expect one or both of these sources has a problem involving that file. Take both the CD and boot floppy to another PC. See if you can successfully copy and paste this file from those locations. If you can't then the source(s) is/are corrupt.

Get a new boot disk or ... another CD?

I don't know for sure, but my guess is the config.sys error will go away when you get the aspi2dos thing fixed.

The prob with the boot disk. What is the make and model of your cd rom?

Edit: take the comp that you are on now and make a boot disk from it. Chances are that it will work.

Start>Control panel>Add Remove Programs>Start disk tab>Create start disk
    ------------------
    People think candles smell good, but nothing smells worse than the house we just put out because of the candle.
    I got Pre-Stonehenge comp. CPU= 486Dx2 66MHz 640k sys ram 64512 Ext ram. 1 gig HD

[This message has been edited by FireFighter431 (edited 01-08-2002).]
    People think candles smell good, but nothing smells worse than the house we just put out because of the candle.Spex

1st off thanks for the help.I'm somewhat of a newbie. the harddrive is new on the(gateway) labtop . i tried reinstalling windows on this computer(my desk top) and then makeing a new start up disk,It did not work. same thing happend

I am confused: You say

when i load the start up disk and choose cd support the cd runs

From that comment i am assuming that you are booting up fine but you are having problems installing Windows 98

But then when you say:

and i start getting ; ( the following file is missing or corrupted aspi2dos.sys
    there is an error in your config.sys fill on line 12 )i get about 15 of these lines then it stops with (the folling file is corrupted :command.com)

That brings to mind what happens when you have a bad boot disk [boot disk not make for that comps compontes] and you are not booting up all the way.

what and where are you getting them error messages? While Booting or While trying to install?

------------------
    People think candles smell good, but nothing smells worse than the house we just put out because of the candle.
    I got Pre-Stonehenge comp. CPU= 486Dx2 66MHz 640k sys ram 64512 Ext ram. 1 gig HD

[This message has been edited by FireFighter431 (edited 01-08-2002).]
    People think candles smell good, but nothing smells worse than the house we just put out because of the candle.Spex

Thread Information