Last successful boot

Thread: Last successful boot

Last successful boot

I'm having intermittent start-up problems. How do I get my PC to go back to it's last successful boot? Thanks.

------------------
    one of the good guys
    one of the good guys

What do you mean last successful boot? If you are talking about your Windows not loading right then i dont beleive that it has anything to do with yout boot. It would probably be a registry prob.
    But if you are taling about before windows even has a chance to load then i think it would probably be a BIOS problem.

What is happening and when?

Now someone correct me if i am wrong [then teach me] But from what i know there aint a way to boot from previous boot. each time you boot, it may load different because of different new progs that you install. So it is not possible to have a previous boot. the only form of recording a boot is with F8 and that only creats a log in C: that is called Boot.prv and all that is, is just what was loaded as you booted; which cannot be used to boot a comp
    to view log open with notepad

------------------
    People think candles smell good, but nothing smells worse than the house we just put out because of the candle.
    I got Pre-Stonehenge comp. CPU= 486Dx2 66MHz 640k sys ram 64512 Ext ram. 1 gig HD

[This message has been edited by FireFighter431 (edited 01-08-2002).]
    People think candles smell good, but nothing smells worse than the house we just put out because of the candle.Spex

I think as FireFighter said, your looking for the registry that was used for the last sucessful boot.

START | SHUTDOWN | RESTART in MSDOS Mode

At the C:\> prompt type the following:

scanreg /restore

A menu will come up with several files w/dates, select the date before this started happening to restore it.

------------------
    Murf

Visit-Murf's Windows Garage

But if it ain't broke - "Break It" - So we can help fix it!
    Please do not use "PM" for personal help, post in forum so everybody can learn

Thanks, murf, that one will replace my other notes (at least most of them-need to sort)on that subject. Gracias as always....

------------------
    GOPHER IT...
    _Junker
    Illegitemi Non Carborundum - don't let the bastards grind you down...
    "While there is a chance of the world getting through its troubles, I hold
    that a reasonable man has to behave as though he were sure of it. If at the end your cheerfulness is not justified, at any rate you will have been cheerful." - H. G. Wells
    _Junker :>)

OK Firefighter and Murf, you're both right. I dont mean boot from bios. That's ok. What I need is to find the record of the last time that Windows loaded successfully. Every other start-up sends me into Safe Mode, easily, but then the system hangs when I restart from safe mode and I cant into Windows with all my drivers. Defragging in safe mode did not help much. The full windows load attempts seem to die behind the Windows logo screen, and my Regclean wont run without initiating a fatal exception error. Is there not some command that I can run from the start bar / run sequence that will take me back 24 hrs or so when life was easier?

Thanks,

one of the good guys

------------------
    one of the good guys
    one of the good guys

Well Ktract, Welcome to Virtual Dr and the WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WORLD OF COMPUTERS Nope no start command for that.
    The problem with your comp is when Windows is loading. Established that now. What is the error message that is displayed when

"and my Regclean wont run without initiating a fatal exception error."

What exactly does the error state?

------------------
    People think candles smell good, but nothing smells worse than the house we just put out because of the candle.
    I got Pre-Stonehenge comp. CPU= 486Dx2 66MHz 640k sys ram 64512 Ext ram. 1 gig HD
    People think candles smell good, but nothing smells worse than the house we just put out because of the candle.Spex

Thanks to Murf and Firefighter. You got me termed right and tuned up to a successful full lopad of Windows. Now if I can just avoid the mistake I obviously made loading drivers like the last time just before the system went south.

ktract

------------------
    one of the good guys
    one of the good guys

Ok, sorry folks. Now that I have apristine load, my regclean is working again. So thanks for bailing me out. I suspect the problem starts with one or both of the last two devices that I will now attempt to load drivers for. One is an old ISA 16 voice sound card. The other is an ATI TV card. Maybe I should just restore my old 486 (Turbo)DX from law school. Life was so much simpler then.

Really,]

------------------
    one of the good guys
    one of the good guys

Thread Information