[RESOLVED] Attachment as an rtf file will not open

Thread: [RESOLVED] Attachment as an rtf file will not open

Resolved [RESOLVED] Attachment as an rtf file will not open

I use Win 10 but have a friend who still uses Win7. This person has Office 2007 installed if that was the term then and an rtf file is to be opened by Word when I checked for default apps. This person uses AOL and the attachment is shown but nothing happens when this is clicked. I even tried right clicking and "Save as..." but the only option type was an html file. I use Gmail and in 10 this right clicking has different options. This person also has trouble with other attachment types, too, like video files, but this rtf was all I was trying to work through today. Any suggestions?

I read through that 3 times, and I am still not clear as to exactly what the problem is. I am assuming that the file in question was saved as a Rich Text File, with a .rtf file extension. Rich Text Files (.rtf) can be opened by Microsoft Word or by Wordpad, which is included on all Windows systems. However, this should not have anything to do with your Save As issue.

If a .rtf file is added to an email as an attachment, you should be able to save the attachment to your hard drive, and then open Wordpad, and use Wordpad to open the file.

What email client program or web browser is being used to access the email?

Is this on your computer where you are having the issue, or the other person's computer?

If a web browser is being used to access the email with the attachment, what happens if you try a different web browser?

What happens if you Forward the email to a non-AOL email account? Can you save the attachment then?

Thanks for replying. The issue is not on my computer but that of a friend. The person uses AOL for mail and opens the mail in the browser, which is Chrome. I emailed a file with a "name.rtf" attached. We scroll down the emails and come to the one I sent and click on it. The body of the file says, "Here is the information you requested in the attachment". It shows the icon indicating the attached file but when we click on that icon, nothing happens. So I tried right-clicking on the icon thinking I might be able to save the file in this manner, but the file could be saved only as an html file. In my email the file is shown under "Sent" and the attachment opens. So I will check if a different browser can be used. I use Edge. That might be the issue. Thanks.

The new Edge is just Chrome with another name. I would try Internet Explorer and Firefox also. Internet Explorer should already be available, and you can download a portable version of Firefox if you do not want to install that.

Thanks. Will try this.

Thanks for suggesting the issue might be the browser Chrome. I had time to go to my friend's house and use the browser Firefox and all the files opened. This person had someone come a year or so ago to do something to the computer and he suggested Chrome be used set it as the default. I changed the default to Firefox and downloaded the updates for it. I should have thought of that but sometimes I get a blind spot in my thinking. Thanks for your assistance.

Thanks for the update.

Thread Information