[RESOLVED] Ghost
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Ghost

Resolved [RESOLVED] Ghost

Hi: Trying to rescue an Asus Q65L notebook. It has the touch screen feature. Seems to working fine, except when I open an icon or page, while all appears well, a ghost of the opened item fades into the background when I open another page or icon. program. In other words, the previous opened item appears in ghost form when another icon or program is opened, instead of disappearing completely. Distracting. Not familiar with touch screen devices and not familiar with getting rid of ghosts. Usually, when I open a page, view it, then click on another page or icon,. that page closes and the new item is clear and visible without the distraction of the ghost. Jim S
    Jim S.

I am having trouble visualizing where this "ghost" image is appearing. It sounds like a Windows 10 setting somewhere, but I cannot be sure. Can you capture a screen image that has the "ghost" image showing? If yes, post that screen capture here so we can see what is actually happening.

will try on the Asus tomorrow. Running Win 8.1 and not that all familiar with that "old" o/s. Meantime, I did note in Device Manager that two video drivers are installed: Intel HD Graphics Family; 2. NVIDA Geforce GT 745 M. Tried uninstalling the latter, and rebooted, and same thing. When you open one feature, don't close it, but go on to opening another feature, the first feature fades into the background, but is visible, ghost-like on the scree, and makes it difficult to continue use of the computer. Checked online under why does my computer screen have a ghost, (the online does feature the item), but nothing positive t date.
    Jim S.

I could not find anything on an ASUS Q65L. Are you sure that is the correct model number? Some laptops have nVidia video adapters, and having 2 drivers should not cause image ghosting issues.

This posted under Windows 10, but you say you are running Windows 8.1.

What happens if you Minimize the first program you open before starting the second? Do you still get the "ghost" image of the first window?

Please verify the model number and OS. If needed, we can move the thread to the correct forum section.

You shouldn't remove drivers randomly. It sounds like your system has 2 video cards, so it would need both drivers.

Do you mean transparency, rather than ghosting? To me, ghosting is a residual image, something like mouse trails. Your situation sounds more like the inactive window is going transparent.

You could take a short video of the transition with your phone and upload it so it can be seen..

Various ways to upload video.. https://filestage.io/blog/share-video-online/
    Don't believe everything you think.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Running Win 8.1. Just, overnight, downloaded and installed 94 updates. Situation not much better. When I reduce one program in size, and go to another one, all seems to be okay. But, when I maneuver around, the faint image of the first program appears in the background. When I go back to start the screen clears and all seems normal, until I start opening features again. I did note that when I connect the computer's HDMI port to my HDMI monitor all seems to be working properly, so that would rule out, I suppose a bad video card. Haven't tried to download new drivers. Yes, as previously noted. Device Manager does reveal there are two video cards, an Intel and an NVIDA. Don't know why the system would need two such cards, but they are displayed. One internet site recommend banging on the back of the computer, but I'm leary of inviting other problems by banging on any part of a notebook computer.
    Jim S.

I assume that the Intel HD refers to the graphics hardware built into the CPU (integrated graphics) while the Nvidia referes to the more powerful (well for a laptop), discrete graphics card added by the manufacturer.
    Current PC

Zoostorm
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, (XP Mode virtual pc enabled)
    WEI 7.4, 7.6, 7.9, 7.9, 5.9
    Intel Core i5-2310, 8GB Ram
    Geforce GTX 660 OC
    Samsung Syncmaster SA300 23.6" monitor

Folding@home
    User Name Sintares
    Team guru3d

There is no such thing as overkill. 'Open fire' and 'is it dead?' are the only sane options when threatened.

Yes. Transparency will do. When I close the first item, like, say a page on the internet, all seems well. But, when I open a new feature, the first feature appears as a transparent in the background, messing the viewing up. When I close the second feature, the transparency also disappears and the screen, desktop is back to normal. Will keep trying, but getting the feeling the video chip (s) or LCD screen and/or cable are shot. Hope not. Am not convinced the unit can be saved. Oh, it can work with an external monitor, so that might be its saving grace, or even amazing grace!!!! Thoughts? Thanks, Jim S.
    Jim S.

Just noticed something else. Asus support site calls it transparency, image sticking. Clicked on the Edge feature. Up came the screen in a pea-green and white display. None of the feature items for selection were in multi-color display, only a combo of pea green and white. Closed the feature, and the image faded, but did not totally disappear into the background. Waited. Watched. Within a minute or slightly less, the faded image began to disappear, gradually, then finally disappeared completely as I watched. Jim S.
    Jim S.

Again, when I open the internet page none of the characters or items appear in their actual color, as is normal. but rather in pea green and white color only.
    Jim S.

I cannot determine from the information available whether this is a software "feature" of the ASUS video driver or a hardware failure of one of the video adapters. I don't thing a faulty cable or dirty cable connection would be able to cause the symptoms you are seeing. If there was a way to disable one video adapter at a time and force the computer to use the other adapter, you might be able to determine which adapter is causing the issue.

Gonna pack it in for another day. Disabled and re-enable drivers for both the Intel and Nvidia cards in Device Manager, re-booted, and same oh, same oh problem. The system boots fine to the desktop and the colors all seem ok. But, when opening internet, the image appears in a pea green, splattered with some purpose but no true colors at the site or any other sites selected. When closing internet the image fades into the background but does not completely clear the screen when the close button is pressed. But, slowly within 30 seconds to a minute the background image fades away, and disappears completely.
    Jim S.

Just to be clear, is this just with web browsers or does it happens with all applications and programs, like Wordpad or Notepad?

I did note that when I connect the computer's HDMI port to my HDMI monitor all seems to be working properly
    If it works with an external monitor, then it sounds like a problem with the LCD.

Thread Information