[RESOLVED] Ghost - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Ghost

I'll go through the routine. Bootup goes well. Desktop comes up with nice mid-blue background, though "icon colors are not bright, but faded". Check internet. Displayed items are in pale green, pea green kinda. If I don't close the internet home page, but click on to an item on internet, the item comes up, the home page fades into the background while the new item is displayed. Within 30 sec to a minute, the faded image of the Internet home page begins to fade away, and the new selected item continues to appear in the pea green color. No other colors are being displayed. When I connect via the HDMI port to an external HDMI monitor, all is perfect, no background fading, no pea green colors only on the external monitor. However, when I check the image (s) on the notebook, the problem remains. Ready to cannablize (cs),rather than tear down to fix an unknown problem.
    Jim S.

I was able to disable both drivers for the video cards, re-booted and got the same problem. Nothing changed. I do notice a purple thin line across the top of the screen, and when the problem starts, that is when an open item fades into the backgroun, when another item is selected, the color is in purple.
    Jim S.

screen is in locked mode, if that matters.
    Jim S.

Still trying to decide if it a web browser issue. Boot the computer, but DO NOT run any web browser. Instead, start Notepad AND Wordpad. See if the same issue occurs.

The thin purple line may or may not be related to the issue. However, it is starting too look like a hardware problem. You might be able to correct it if you wanted to disassemble the unit and re-seat the ribbon cable connecting the mainboard to the display.

Feared the hardware issue from the beginning. Hate to toss the computer as it's been well cared for, looks like new. Still. It's useless as it is, and has no real functi9on connected to and external HDMI monitor for its real life. Latest: When I boot up, and go to Word Pad, the screen comes up without a problem. However, when I click on the save button, the various items are represented by the purple color. Then, tried booting and all is well. Selected internet. Closed internet, and selected Word Pad again, clicked to save. and sure enough. the faded image of the internet home page came up in the background. waited a minute and slowly but surely the faded image of the internet home page began to fade, slowly. May take a shot at upgrading to win 10 Pro, but doubt that is going to improve the issituation. May decide to sit it out for a while, then maybe try to open it up and see what's going on.
    Anyone have an address for the manual of the Asus Q65L notebook computer?
    Jim S.

A Google search does not return any results for "ASUS Q65L" except this thread. Check the manufacturer's sticker on the unit to see of there is any other information that might be helpful.

If you can disassemble it, you may be able to fix it, since the display output works with an external monitor.

If nothing else, it could always be donated. Since it works with an external monitor, someone who does not have a computer could use it with an inexpensive used monitor.

Model seems to be Q550L I guess it's a zero and not and OH.
    Jim S.

Might try replacing the able, though I don't relish the thought of having to fuss with the LCD. Cable is abut
    Jim S.

cable is about 10 bucks, plus. Motehrboard more than 100 plus. It's a really nice unit, and plan on upgrading to win 10 pro. The model number, the correct one is asus q550L. Eyesight been going bad, need magnifying class nowadays. They tell me this is normal part of getting to be an old geezer. Forget the gold in golden! Would like to find a tear down manual for this thing, and proceed from there. I don't think upgrading video drivers are going to relieve the problem.
    Jim S.

From what I can tell, the cable route might be the best route, easiest any way. Will check the connection to the mothe3rboard, and hopefully it just needs to be reconnected.
    Else will order a new cable and jump in with both feet.
    Jim S.

Persistent squeezing, pushing the LCD connector to the m/b produced some good results. All is not well, but the improvements really indicate a cable problem Color is better, far less ghosting in the background. Updated to Win 10 Home, but plan on moving to Pro 64 bit. Boot time is better. Squeezed the connection, put pressure on the connection. and the results have been encouraging. Will post when cable is installed. Jim S.
    Jim S.

I did not check to see what type of connector or contacts that video cable might have, but if it is possible, you may want to disconnect the cable and clean the contacts, pins, or whatever if that can be done. If there is any dirt or corrosion, that can affect the connection and the display signal.

Thread Information