TV loses WiFi signal-How to boost my signal.

Thread: TV loses WiFi signal-How to boost my signal.

TV loses WiFi signal-How to boost my signal.

Router
    Linksys 24480
    Model: EA 6900

I have a smart TV in one room (separate from the router room) that seems to lose its signal on a regular basis. Mainly when viewing youtube or Netflix. This TV does not have a port for a hardwired network connections (i.e. Cat6).

I have another smart TV in another room (separate from the router room) that never loses its signal when viewing youtube or Netflix.

No gaming involved for any TV or any other device in my home.

My home is only about 1,000 SF living space. TV losing signal is on the same floor. I would also like to get a better signal if I sit outside of my home and listen to music.

I don't know much about networking or wifi stuff (technically).

In doing some research I have read that "extenders" not boosters or repeaters can use the electrical lines in the home to extend the WiFi coverage. If I look at Amazon for example most of the results show a WiFi Extender (in description) as Extender, Booster and Repeater or at least two of them. I can not tell by the descriptions what I really need to order (extender I would assume) as I don't knowabout all the other techno-stuff that is in the description detail.

The TV that loses its signal is only two rooms away but has three walls between the router and the room. The TV that does not lose signal is two rooms away with two walls between it.

Also, does it matter that I have my router on the bottom shelf of a wooden shelf unit with a wooden shelf above it. It is not enclosed. Would the signal be stronger from my router if I move it to on top of my desk for example.

I am looking to spend around $35-$60 for an extender (booster-repeater whatever) that will help keep the TV that loses it signal from losing its signal so much.

I don't know which one to purchase as the descriptions are misleading or above my head techno-wise. Would someone please give me a link to one on Amazon that I should purchase.

Phase two of this post: In my employment office we have WiFi. My PC that I use on a regular basis I finally talked my boss into hard-wiring to the router as I kept losing my signal and or the Internet speed was horrible. I am allowed to use my personal cell phone to listen to music while I work at my desk along with my personal Bluetooth speaker. However while I listen to my music on youtube I constantly lose the signal. It could be for 20 seconds and up to 5 minutes. I will have the signal and the off again after only about 2 minutes or so. Can someone please provide me with a link to an inexpensive plug-in extender/booster that I can plug into a receptacle in my office that will help me from losing the WiFi signal all the time. Purchasing an inexpensive plug-in extender would probably be cheaper than paying my cell carrier for extra usage.

Thank you so much for your help!

Powerline adapters will not slow down your data speeds as much as a WiFi range extender will.

Also, if you do not have your modem and/or router on a UPS, that might also help. Power drops that you might notice can cause the networking hardware to reset or reboot.

The same solutions might work both at home and at work.

Possibly useful information:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-e...rline-adapter/

https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/...h-is-the-best/

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-b...rline-adaptors

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV600.../dp/B00HSQAIQU

Thanks for the links jdc2000

I read up about the powerline adapters. It seems that the (we will call them the transmitter and receiver) should be on the same leg of the power at the electrical panel in order for it to work properly. Actually the video to the actual product states they should be plugged into the same circuit (not an option at home or the office). I being a retired electrician can understand why this may be an issue. In this case I am not so sure if this will be a working solution for my office PC mainly. I don't want to reconfigure my bosses electrical panel (liability issues there) just to have a better WiFi signal. My home is another story - that I could do, at least on the same leg but not the same circuit. The office/warehouse is fed by two 3 phase services and one one phase service. I am just not sure if I want to go thru all that re-configuration to have this power line adapter to work.

I am thinking maybe I should go a different route.

What is the make/model of the "bad" smart tv? Did you check for a firmware upgrade?

Are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz? 5GHz has higher bandwidth, but shorter range. If the device is far away from the router, you might have a more stable signal on 2.4GHz.

For work, you'd need to consult with your boss before adding anything to the network. Again, you could try using 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz at work.

A potentially better solution for both home and office would also be a lot more expensive - a mesh WiFi system.

I am very sorry for my delayed response to your suggestions! Please forgive me.

Being 64 and throwing my back out put me way behind in responding to these responses.

Overall I am going to put off purchasing any extender etc at this time for both home and the office.

For home I set my router accordingly as to how far away the devices are from the router and what Ghz 5 or 2.4 they should connect to. Then once I have a better idea of how it all works over a period of about 6 weeks or so I will determine my next steps.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and again sorry for the delayed response

Thread Information