[RESOLVED] Hot 1TB 7200 hard drive

Thread: [RESOLVED] Hot 1TB 7200 hard drive

Resolved [RESOLVED] Hot 1TB 7200 hard drive

Probably know the answer, but thought Id give the site a shot. Purchased 1 TB 3.5" hard drive.
    Refurbished. Works fine, but runs hotter than a bat out of hell. About 40/45 C. Use it just for backup, but would like to let it run for longer periods of time. Installed on a carriage inside the computer. CP running about 30 C and is an M.2 chip. Drive tested fine on arrival and so long as I just use it to backup the main cpu, all is well. Seller set max performance value at 254, AAM setting. Would altering the AAM setting to say, 190 or lower help solve the hot problem. I mean hot. After a few hours you can't touch the drive. The Crystal Disc check says all is ok, and does not issue any sort of warning. Thanks, Jim S.
    Jim S.

What's the exact make/model of that drive? I haven't heard about AAM in a while now.

I don't think changing the AAM will make much difference, but you might as well set it to the "Quiet" setting of 128. I doubt you'll notice a difference in real world performance.

Will just let the setting where it is. Will monitor the heat of the Western Digital black label. There's a beer by that name, Black Label. Good stuff. While at it: I did a backup, clone, the other night, using Acronis via CD drive, Took three hours. Normally. when I first got the new hard refurbished drive, it only took about 40 min or less to backup the entire onboard M.2 drive. Something's wrong, but not sure what. Help, please. Maybe the partitioning got screwed up. or maybe because I have EASEus to do loaded on the computer. Not sure. Thanks for the help. Will try to get a bit more air into the box and see if that gets the heat down a bit, but anything running at 7200, my airplane engine doesn't run nearly sort of rpm at cruise. Thanks. Jim S.
    Jim S.

Are you sure they changed the AAM? I thought they removed the ability to alter the AAM a long time ago. Pretty sure the WD Black drives came out later. You didn't give the exact model number, so I can only guess.

How much data are you backing up?

Did you run WD diagnostics on the drive?

I don't use any Easeus apps. It's possible that Easeus is causing problems with Acronis.

You threw out a lot of variables, so it's hard to know what would be causing the problem. You'll have to eliminate the suspects one by one.

Depending on where you have the drive mounted, installing a fan to blow cool air over the drive might be an option.

A real bummer, this one. Spent better part of last three days, really trying to figure this one out. Was ready to toss the refurbished HD, but figured to give it another try. The drive was tested three ways, including use of the Western Digital utility, CheckIt, etc. Came up clean. Might run a bit hot, but no errors or sector damage wad reported under any test. Tried a 1 TB external mobile drive via usb 3 port, and all went well. Clone took about 14 mins, just about right for the 85 GBs on the M.2 storage/boot device. The problem was: When using third party Acronis, EaseUS, Omei cloning discs, the clone time went from 14 mins, to three or more hours. Figured, while trying to sleep that after all was tried and failed, I'd give the onboard backup, image feature n Win 10 a try. Sure enough. after hours and hours of trial and error the onboard utility worked fine, cloned in about 14 mins. So, figured I'd go back to the drawing board and try and figure out why,. when using a third party utility, the time parameter advanced considerably. Haven't been able to figure that out yet. Do note that when using the Crucial clone utility for its drives (the M.2 is a 1 TB unit) that it starts the process, chugs along, then when beginning to backup partition, it coughs, given a error and stops. When I check the backup drive in Disc Management, it indicates that the disc needs to be formatted. That seems to be the crux of the matter.
    The backup drive is or was formatted before the cloned process began, and now it seems every time I tried to use one of the third party utility discs to do the clone, they are somehow knocking out the formatted feature of the backup disc, then stating the drive can't be found (obviously since the format has been knocked out), and halts. So, we have two positives for all this work, to date: I can use a third party clone backup external mobile hard drive via the usb 3 port, and two I can use the native clone feature on win 10 to backup to the spare internal hard drive without incurring any errors or having the formatted disc lose its format. Confusing, I know. I even tried a new, spare, 1 tb hard drive, clean and not running hot, and formatted it, was seen in the disc manager, but when I used, say, acronis backup, or others, encountered the same problem I had with the refurbished hard drive, which I'll continue to keep, and have already cloned to without difficulty. other than heat. Yeah, I'll put a fan on the drive as suggested. Thoughts. Just seems the win 10 doesn't like third party cloning utilities any more. Jim Sorry to be so lengthy. Maybe a Microsoft Tuesday push update has had something to do with the problem. Can work with the system as is but curious why when using a third party utility clone, it knocks out the format feature of the backup disc, preventing of course a successful clone or backup. Thoughts? Jim S.
    Jim S.

Why are you cloning the drive instead of creating an image backup? I would create an image backup to another drive, and then restore it to your target hard drive.

It could be the difference of sector alignment between an SSD and HD. SSDs use 4K sectors. You didn't post the exact model number, so I can't verify that.

now it seems every time I tried to use one of the third party utility discs to do the clone, they are somehow knocking out the formatted feature of the backup disc, then stating the drive can't be found (obviously since the format has been knocked out), and halts.
    Cloning would wipe out the partition info.

Model:

WD1002FBYS05A6BO. When I did an image backup using the onboard win 10 utility, everything worked fine. However, before I was able to use the Acronis utility, click through to "clone", followed the instructions, and all went well, no hitches. Didn't change a thing, and when I went to use the same process the other day the wheels came off. Never a problem before then, and all worked well. NOTE: I can use the Acronis disc and process if I use an external mobile hard drive via the usb 3 port. Thing go well, when using the acronis disc. Not so any more when using the internal backup hard drive for cloning. Figured I use clone to I can swap the backup into service with fusing. Strange thing is: When using the acronis disc it now erases the formatted internal backup hard drive, bringing about, as you can imagine, trouble. No problem with the image feature though. Jim S
    Jim S.

In case of a problem, I'll have to remember to use the Repair disc in conjunction with the internal backup hard drive to recover the system. Just curious at this point to know what might have happened.
    Jim S.

WD1002FBYS-05A6BO
    https://www.manualowl.com/m/Western%...l/52427?page=2

That's a 512B sector drive. Like I mentioned, SSDs use 4KB sectors. So the cloning would have to realign the sectors. I suspect that's the problem.

Strange thing is: When using the acronis disc it now erases the formatted internal backup hard drive,
    When you clone a drive, the target drive's formatting gets wiped out. That's normal.

Again, I recommend using image backups instead of cloning. You can keep multiple image backups instead of just one cloned drive.

Always appreciate the education here. Will follow your counsel. Still, I'm curious: 1. Why was I able to clone with the current set-up in a normal manner, until, that is, I first posted this note? Every thing worked fine. 2. Why can I still clone to a 2.5" external mobile drive via USB 3 port, as normal, without problems, though I cannot clone via the USB 3 with a 3.5" external hard drive? Do think I can clone without a problem to an internal or external SSD drive, pulling the backup hard drive, of course, without a problem, since, as you noted, the sector would match on both ssd drives? Just curious. OR, is there a way, under the current setup, to alter the sector size so that both the hard drive and ssd are the same? Thanks for the assist. Jim S.
    Jim S.

For #1 I can't really answer that. I'm just telling you what I can from the info you provided.

2. Why can I still clone to a 2.5" external mobile drive via USB 3 port, as normal, without problems, though I cannot clone via the USB 3 with a 3.5" external hard drive?
    You didn't post the make/model of the drive. Newer drives use 4K sectors now.

Do think I can clone without a problem to an internal or external SSD drive, pulling the backup hard drive, of course, without a problem, since, as you noted, the sector would match on both ssd drives?
    If you're cloning SSD to SSD, then both would use 4K sectors already.

You can't change a 512B sector drive into a 4KB drive.

More info on 4K sectors: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rive,2759.html

Thanks for taking the time to review my problem. Appreciate it! Jim S.
    Jim S.

Thread Information