Malwarebytes problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malwarebytes problem

Malwarebytes problem

Malwarebytes on my computer, an older Dell running W7, seems to be misbehaving. Whenever I hit the icon to try to bring M'bytes up, I get a popup reply , and it takes a while, saying "Unable to connect the service". I cannot bring up the initial M'bytes screen, let alone run a scan.

I've tried one possible solution I found online.

Malwarebytes unable to connect to the service.
    Possible fix:

1. Press Windows Key + R to open the run dialog
    2. In the box that comes up, type services.msc and click OK
    3. In the list, find Windows Management Instrumentation, and double click it
    4. Change startup type to Automatic
    5. Reboot
    6. See if you can open Malwarebytes

That didn't work. The setting was already on automatic. I applied the setting again, but to no effect.

I'd appreciate any thought or help.

Did you Google-> malwarebytes unable to connect service

and see all the articles?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

What version of MBAM are you running? What AV are you running?

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-malwa...t-the-service/

I'm running Bitdefender, fairly recently installed. Previously I had Avast. I don't know what version of MBAM I have because it won't start.

Yes, I googled this, and found a rather daunting list of fixes. I tried one, as shown in my initial post, but went no farther for fear of harming my system. I'd much rather rely on a known-good source of information and instruction.

I went to the link above, brought up the list of services, and found that it does not include MBAM. There is just no service which includes MBAM. Either I'm doing something wrong in getting the list, or the fact of the missing MBAM IS the problem.

I would do the simplest thing first.. uninstall then reinstall the latest version of Malwarebytes from their site.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I have uninstalled Malwarebytes using the uninstall feature within the program itself.

How do I tell whether that worked as it should? I still find program parts, what appears to be pretty much the entire program, in the program library. The desktop icon is gone, though. Revo does not list Malwarebytes, nor does the program install or change feature within Control Panel.

I'd like to be sure Malwarebytes is properly uninstalled before installing a new copy.

I've done as you suggested, Spyware. When I ran the support tool it got to the second green progress bar and quit, with the popup "We were unable to launch successfully. Please try again." A moment later Bitdefender gave a popup telling me that it had deleted a trojan. I did not copy the Bitdefender notice. I tried again, with the same results.

I'll try one more time, then reboot and try again.

That did not work. The same thing happened. Just prior to the unable popup there was a very quick popup, telling me, I think, that it was downloading FRST.exe.

In looking through my previously downloaded programs I see that I have a copy of FRST already, dated 2015. Will that present a problem?

Now I'm going to reboot and try again.

Rebooting did not help. This go-around I was able to copy what Bitdefender said. "Item was deleted: Trojan.GenericKD.42903509. Path:C:\Users\KWB\AppDate\Local\Temp\7zS233A.tmp\FRST.exe.download"

To my untrained eye it looks as though Bitdender considers one of the FRST files to be a trojan.

How do I deal with this? Is there a work-around?

The 7zS233A.tmp looks like a 7Zip temporary file. FRST.exe, if it is indeed legitimate would be the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, although why Bitdefender or Malwarebytes would be downloading that would be a question.

I would check the Malwarebytes and Bitdefender forums for any ideas. If I had to get rid of one of them, it would be Bitdefender, to be replaced with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    If I had to get rid of one of them, it would be Bitdefender, to be replaced with something else.
    Ditto.

I've opened a thread on the Malwarebytes forum, as SpywareDr suggested. I think the current plan is to temporarily remove Bitdefender while I download and work with the Malwarebytes fixit program. Once the problem is fixed I would want to download Bitdefender again, unless it has proven to be causing the problem.

I switched from Avast to Bitdefender in early February on the recommendation of this forum. If it proves to be incompatible with Malwarebytes I'll be asking for recommendations.

I use Malwarebytes free version with Bitdefender and have had no problems with either working together.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information