Changing Browsers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Browsers

Changing Browsers

I am getting fed up with Google Chrome & Google. I recently went back to Firefox. Had not used it in ages. But after installing & updating, it still brings up Google for searching.
    I went into the registry & deleted all that would allow of Google & I still get it when I log in to Firefox. Is there anyway I can divorce Google ?? Thanks..............
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Possibly useful link on how to change the Firefox default search provider:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ttings-firefox

What version of FF are you using? Are you using a dedicated searchbox or are you just using search from the address bar? I use DuckDuckGo for my searches.

I think I perhaps got the latest version cuz I did a search & installed from the web. However, I have no way of knowing what version it is because it brings up the Google page rather than Firefox. I even installed Opera to see if I cud get away from Google to no avail. Today, I will try the link that jdc2000 mentioned & see if I can find a solution.. I also tried to use DuckDuckGo but it would just revert back to Google. Thanks for the help.......

BTW, is there any possible way that I cud purge Google completely from the registry??

I have no way of knowing what version it is because it brings up the Google page rather than Firefox.
    Click Help > About at the top of the browser.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

That's the problem. There is NO "about" anywhere on the page period! Also, I have another question. Long ago there was a little program that would list the complete registry on your desktop Where as all the contents was listed in alphabetical order & if you wanted to delete an item, you could highlite the whole item list & delete it at once rather having to use the F3 button & search the regular way.. Anyone know about that?

Post a screen capture of your Firefox window so we can see what you are seeing.

BTW, is there any possible way that I cud purge Google completely from the registry??
    Probably not. Even if you could, it wouldn't have the effect you think it would. You could try CCleaner, but you could wind up with an unbootable system, or one where some things unrelated to Google no longer function.

I will try to do that. However, it is located on a different PC. BTW, the browser is Firefox 74.. but the window is always Google. I go to options, Search, The search bar is greyed out so I cannot add or change,the default search engine is DuckDuckGo, but does not appear on the Google page. All of the options are shown as Firefox options & no matter what I change, when going back to the desktop, it is all Google.........

I have the screen capture on a thumb drive but cannot figure out how to transfer to this post??

You can either click on the Insert Image icon above the Post Quick Reply window, or, click on the Go Advanced button and use the Manage Attachments function to upload it.

I cannot change the page format. It will only change to html.

Page format does not have anything to do with posting attachments.

See the link below:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...ng-screenshots

What do you mean the page is always Google? Exactly how are you doing your searches?

The search engine is set for your searches from the address bar or the dedicated search bar. If you set the search engine to DuckDuckGo, it would take you to their site.

OK ... Here what I do: I click on the Firefox icon (taskbar). It brings up a Google Web Page. I right clik on the page & do as a "save as" . It saves it as a html icon on my desktop.. It offers no other options !!!

Thread Information