[RESOLVED] Transfer text messages from one phone to another

Thread: [RESOLVED] Transfer text messages from one phone to another

Resolved [RESOLVED] Transfer text messages from one phone to another

I am getting a new cell phone shortly. My old one is acting up.

Is there a way to preserve the text messages on my old phone and transfer them to my new phone when I get it? I am the type of person who likes to keep old text messages in case I need to refer back to one in the future.

Android - version 7

Thanks

I've gotten new phones from my provider VERIZON.

They've done that type of stuff for me... Contacts get copied first.

I haven't tried Googling your question - but there is probably info out there.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

When I got my newer Samsung cell phone I used Samsung Smart Switch to migrate all my data. I don't remember if I actually had any old text messages on the phone at the time.. I regularly delete them anyway. It says it moves them as well though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Mover&hl=en_CA

Supported devices:

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/m...switch-mobile/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - much appreciated.

jdc2000 I think I will start with your suggestion from "howtogeek" first since that procedure seems to rely less on brand of phone from what I am reading.

This may be a stupid question but since I will have a new phone which will not have carrier services yet and the old one will this method will allow me to run the transfer? I know it says to use WiFi. The new phone will have the WiFi capability even though there won't be a sim card in it as it won't be activated yet by Cricket.

It looks like you could Backup the text messages and then later transfer the file and Restore from that.

I don't know if there is any way to check with Cricket personnel to see what they have to say.

Thanks jdc2000 for your suggestion of a backup. I figured that is what I may have to do.

My issue now is the store being closed. Our Gov has closed all non life sustaining stores in PA and my phone is on its way to me. This is the only store within 40+ miles from me. My other issue is the warranty company wants a quick turn around. Once I get my new phone I have to ship out my old phone. Once the warranty company gets my old phone they will inspect it and send me a check (refund).

Because time "is of the essence" I have two other questions that I have to jam into this thread - sorry!

#1 - Can I take the SIM card from my old phone and place it into my new phone myself? Will this activate my new phone so I don't have to find a store that is maybe open or wait for a few weeks until one store does open to activate my phone? My new phone is a GMS unlocked.

#2 - My new phone - Motorola Moto 7Plus has a SD capability of 512Gigs. I figured I should be ok with 128Gigs SD card. I looked for an SD card of 128Gigs and there are so many price differences. I noticed it is mainly on the write/read speed of the card <---- I am assuming this. When I look on Amazon I see price differences between $8.00 to $40.00. I have no idea what card to buy. Of course I want it to be able to record video but also so important is that I want it to be able to play back video fast so I would think a "read" speed would be just as important. I can't figure out which card I need - there are so many to choose from that my mind is spinning. The present card in my old phone is 64Gigs which I will be putting in my dash cam to upgrade that SD card. Help!! what else do I need to know about getting a 128Gig SD card for my new phone? I am at a total loss. Yikes!!

Help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

The easiest answer to question 1 is to try it. Chances are it should work OK. If it doesn't, post here with any messages or info on what did or did not happen. You should also be able to call or email someone at Cricket to get help with issues.

On memory cards, the price difference is usually due to write speed, which is what you need for recording video. Playing back video should work OK with any decent card.

Links:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007...5&Order=RATING

https://www.newegg.com/sandisk-128gb...82E16820175007
    https://www.newegg.com/samsung-128gb...82E16820147627

Thanks jdc2000

#1 - I guess then if it is possible to do maybe I will call Cricket and see if they can guide me over the phone before I do anything with the SIM card. I originally thought that maybe they had to do something with the SIM card that is in my old phone in order for it to work in my new phone. but I guess since I have their SIM card already that is a good starting point.

#2 - I will be buying one of the ones you suggested. Also, I figured either the write or the read speed would determine the price. I was just confused.

In order for a device such as a smartphone, tablet, computer, camera, etc. to be able to quickly save pictures and videos to storage, the "write" speed capability of that storage is very important.

Thanks SpywareDr for the advice. I figured either a write or read speed was important but will keep the write speed at the top of the list.

Again, thank you for your help with my questions.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions and importantly your guidance.
    I just bought this SD card from Newegg suggested by jdc2000
    SanDisk 128GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I/U3 A2 Memory Card with Adapter, Speed Up to 160MB/s (SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MA)

And I was able to get a Cricket store on the phone. The guy said that since I had their SIM card already working in my present unlocked android phone all I have to do is put the SIM card in my new unlocked phone. No need to come to the store. Have not done it yet but don't think I will have a problem. He sounded very confident and answered the question immediately.
    Last edited by question2012; March 29th, 2020 at 01:43 PM.

Thread Information