An unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1) on External HD

Thread: An unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1) on External HD

An unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1) on External HD

I get this message on my computer with Windows 10 when I try to dock a hard drive in my EZ-Dock and I do a Chkdsk D: /f /r The number (766f6c756d652e63 3f1) is different than the one that you see in the title of this topic though.

Anyhow I get this on all my chkdsks of any hard drive I check. Could not figure out how to fix this problem and read somewhere that it may be Windows 10. I took it to my Windows 7 computer and it completely runs normal and goes thru the 5 steps of chkdsk.

If anyone wants to lemme know what's going on then it will help others. I do all my Windows 10 Pro updates. Got an i-5 Quad with a SSD and 12 GB of ram on this Dell Optiplex so that's my specs.

Anyone know what's going on?
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

I have seen reports of this happening (chkdsk getting this error) on Windows 7, but working OK on Windows XP. If you have lots of spare time and want to try an experiment, and if you have an external disk that has no files on it or that you can copy the files to backup location(s), you could try reformatting the drive on the Windows 10 computer. Microsoft has changed their partition formatting slightly over the years for each new version of Windows. Even on the same version of Windows, I have seen drives formatted on one computer show errors when connected to a different computer. This is probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but the formatting test, if the drive showed no errors afterwards, might at least indicate a possible cause.

Did all of that and I found the answer and got it fixed. This is what I found.
    1. Open the Windows Security, and click/tap on the Virus & threat protection icon.
    2. Click/tap on the Manage ransomware protection link under the Ransomware protection section.
    3. Turn On or Off (default) Controlled folder access for what you want.
    4. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC to approve.

5. When finished, you can close Windows Defender Security Center if you like.

This worked for me as soon as I turned this off.
    Thanks, JB

Thanks for the update. I had not seen anything about Controlled Folder Access causing issues like that, but it certainly could.

It did on three of my Windows 10 computers. I was told that you may want this Ransomware checker whatcamacallit on. So then add an allowed app like Chkdsk to your list of stuff you don't want blocked which is right there as soon as you click on "allow an app through controlled folder access"
    Pain in the ass again!
    Thanks, JB

Thread Information