Machine in an 'unknown state'

Thread: Machine in an 'unknown state'

Machine in an 'unknown state'

Ever since I tried and failed to install Win 7, my Win 10 machine gives me a message on boot-up saying, 'Your machine is in an unknown state' and I'm offered a dual boot menu, Setup or Win 10. If I wait a few seconds, I get a page of explanation to the effect that: You're halfway through installing something else that didn't succeed, what do you want to do?'

Enter to select OS; then the Setup or Win 10 menu shows itself again.

I'm wondering if there's a way to get rid of that message/menu?

Thanks - rev

You tried to install Win7 AFTER you installed Win10? You need to repair the BCD.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebu...indows-2624508

That's very kind of you and I was scorching through the lifewire tutorial all the way to Step 2! Alas, my optimism then sank to new heights.

Advanced Options doesn't exist on my system, I only have Advanced Startup and the only choice is Restart Now.

But I wasn't downhearted because I read on and discovered that the tutorial is only trying to get me to a command prompt. So I opened a command prompt as Admin and -

C:\Windows\System32\>bootrec /rebuildbcd
    'bootrec' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

You may be able to spot what I did wrong, I could have the Midas touch. Maybe I can't spell bcd or perhaps I'm not really the Administrator. I don't want you to be discouraged, this is my all day everyday Windows 10 experience!

My original incredulousness (followed by anger, rage and despair) has now become a sort hysterical chuckle. I think I'd have a heart attack due to shock and awe if anything on this machine worked as advertised.

I'm ready to make a wager that the next fix or solution for the next problem, won't work. I'm so confident and such is my experience that I'm saying that before I've actually received the next problem.

OK, from now on I'll leave out the humor/sarcasm, I know you guys have better things to do but I'm the guy with the longest running Virtual Dr. membership and a tad of latitude wouldn't be amiss as I descend into madness...

Did you boot from the a Win10 DVD or flash drive? The instructions say X: not C:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/repai...rd-mbr-windows

Thread Information