So far in win 10 I have disabled or removed:

• Windows Defender
    • Windows Explorer
    • MS Edge
    • Aura Service
    • ROG services
    • Hahimic service
    • Intel Graphics Command Center

Most of them were running more than one process and I still have 130 MORE processes running than in Win 7. I don't have enough screen space to display all the svchosts opened by Chrome (pic). It really is ridiculous, what can be done.

Is there a site that tells you all the crap you can shut down, that doesn't speak gibberish?

Thanks - rev
    Attached Images Attached Images

Windows Defender should probably not be disabled unless you have replaced it with another antivirus product.

Windows Explorer also should probably not be disabled.

Not sure what will happen with disabling the Intel Graphics Command Center.

Possibly useful links on things that can be disabled:

https://www.google.com/search?source...30.FdNcQc0-xOc

Process Explorer can tell you what svchost is actually running. Links:

https://www.google.com/search?source...30.FdNcQc0-xOc

Just BTW: The 'Remember Me' box at the top of this page, doesn't remember me.

Thanks for the links. I've discovered that Revo (v4.0 at least) will uninstall Windows apps by invoking PowerShell so you can get rid of a bunch of stuff that way. I had to get rid of Nahimic via Device Manager!

>Process Explorer can tell you
    I have System Explorer, which is the same thing.

I used to use Black Viper's well regarded recommendations on disabling services in my late XP, early Win 7 days and did successfully use his advice to disable unneeded services but having done/said that I never found any advantages in doing so other than freeing relatively small amounts of used memory for mostly inert background services.

These days when it's pretty common to have 8 or 16 or 32 or more Gigs of memory available freeing 1-3 hundred Megs really doesn't seem that worthwhile.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Just BTW: The 'Remember Me' box at the top of this page, doesn't remember me
    What web browser are you using to access these forums? Is it set to block cookies?

There are PowerShell scripts to remove some of the Windows 10 games and junkware.

Links:

https://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how...einstall-them/

https://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-r...in-windows-10/

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/u...0-builtin-apps

Fink:
    Yeah I know, and I have plenty of resources but I'm really pissed off that we have less and less control. Everything nags you, I've seen programs open randomly, listing autoruns I get 'file not found' after a virgin install. When something doesn't work, the fixes are all over the web but I get halfway through the steps and find that a certain option doesn't exist on my system. Then how do I undo the steps taken so far? It's like those who wrote the solutions were using a different version. My point of view isn't practical, it's political. We're being watched and manipulated and I don't like it

JD:
    I'm using Chrome but I might be cleaning cookies with Ccleaner. I'm working on those scripts. My only reason for buying a new machine is Sonar, digital audio, and Sonar is the only program that reliably crashes every time I open it. Recording is my life and business but I'm unable to open a single project. c0000005 is the error but no one seems certain of what causes it, the closest argument is an invalid setting in one of the plugins but I've never been able to open a project let alone configure a plug in.

Have you tried running Sonar in a Windows 7 Virtual Machine under Windows 10?

I wouldn't know how to do that but it sounds like you'd have the problems of both OSs in one place. How would you know where an error was coming from? Revo has proved to be awesome at getting rid of preinstalled stuff, in fact I think it's Revo's finest hour. I'm not going crazy or removing stuff I might need later but I don't have anything to do with gaming so I can lose about 5 xBox apps, the Intel Graphics Command Center, the Asus updater thing that looks online every 30 seconds! anything related to games, updating games, sharing games, I'm sure I can safely remove. HEIC Image Extensions!? Never heard of them.

OK here's an example of win 10: The Revo interface just disappeared from the taskbar, on its own. Clicking the desktop icon I get 'it's already running' typing it into search, same thing. I can't open it because it's already open, I can't use it because it's disappeared and I can't close it! Now I have to get on the web and find out how to display a program that's already open. I'm the Administrator but as usual I don't have the privs to do anything, even rename an icon, that's obviously a huge security risk!

Here's another one: I set the machine and the monitor to Never sleep, never do anything autonomously. While I'm chatting to a friend, everything turns itself off. When I reboot manually, I have drop shadows under icon names that weren't there before, I have another (Admin) user to choose from that wasn't there before and when I'm already supposed to be the Admin. This kind of thing goes on all day!

I'm seriously thinking of going back to win 7. Some have reported that VST3 drivers for USB ports can be successfully downloaded and installed from the Intel site, if that's true I won't be missing anything win 10 has to offer - and Sonar will work.

If a new Admin user appeared after an unplanned shutdown, I would be scanning for malware ASAP.

JD: Isn't that the kind of thing Windows Update does?

Last night I tried to go back to win 7 but 'a necessary driver could not be found' now my machine is in an unknown state and I have to choose between Setup and Win 10 when booting. I hate snapping into action, this kind of thing just makes me want to nap

I think there's an iso bundle out there that provides the necessary driver, I tried bundling but I bungled it and went ahead with Win 10. Here's a very typical exchange between me and Win 10:

I want to do this
    Sorry, you can't do that - but would you like to do this instead? It would fix everything.
    OK. Sure!
    Error! File not found

If you know a link to the necessary bundle I need, please share! I think Asus has a procedure, I'm going to check it out. I started keeping notes of what didn't work for me but it got really long and I'd only be whining to a universe that's indifferent...
    Last edited by Reverend; February 24th, 2020 at 04:52 PM.

'My subscription to this thread has been removed.' I don't blame you for getting sick of me!

I'll look into the virtual 7 idea but I'm skeptical.

Isn't that the kind of thing Windows Update does?
    There was a February 2020 Windows 10 update that would add a new temporary user account to install the update, and it was supposed to remove that user account once the update had been installed. However, if it failed to work properly, which it did on some but not all Windows 10 computers, the temporary user account would remain. However, if this happened, one symptom would be that all of your user files and settings would seem to have disappeared. They would not have actually disappeared, they would just be stored under a renamed version of the original user account. See the link below for more info:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/second...user-profiles/

If this is NOT what happened to you, then there should be now new user accounts appearing and you should investigate where the new user account came from and what it is doing.

Thread Information