USB Reclocking?

Thread: USB Reclocking?

USB Reclocking?

I'm fairly new here, but a long time audiophile just getting back into the stuff. Can someone point me to an understandable link that talks in technical terms how a DAC can "reclock" a digital stream, supposedly achieving higher resolution ABOVE the originally sample signal?

I admit I'm much better informed on the analog side of audio, but my understanding is that you can't just "pull out of thin air" something that doesn't originally exist... In other words, how can you improve upon a digital stream sampled at one resolution, without completely "resampling" the whole thing at a higher bit-rate, resolution, etc.

I hope I'm clear enough to elicit some responses. Thanks in advance...

You can't make the original source audio higher quality than it was originally recorded. You could process it with things like equalization or other digital or analog processing to make it sound better or more pleasing but that's about it.

You could re-record the low quality audio file to an audio file with a higher bitrate but that would be like taking a super high resolution photo of a blurry photo. You've still just got the blurry photo... which of course could be manipulated to look better but that's post processing of an inferior product to make it seem higher quality.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Well, that's what I thought too. But I read articles every week about "reclocking" with a better DAC etc... Any ideas what they OP's are driving at? It's always talking about taking a high-quality bitstream, like from Roon, or a similar service, and making it sound "better" after reclocking. I'm really cornfused...

According to some articles I've read reclocking can reduce jitter on the recording but I'm not an expert on that so you could try it to hear the end result.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information