Phone

Thread: Phone

Phone

What ho one and all,

OK, I will admit that I am almost a phone Luddite. I have a small, 20 year old Nokia 6030 that only makes and receives calls. Essentially, it is all I need, however, I have just been given a Samsung Galaxy J5 with no SIM and apparently locked to Virgin Mobile. This has the advantage of a camera and I could install GPS / route finder software, which could be useful.

My Nokia SIM is not the regular size but has markings that it can be reduced to Micro, but then it will not fit in my Nokia. To unlock the Galaxy, presumably I need to get another SIM or would my present one (when reduced in size) do the job to power the phone and then allow me to unlock it?

But I don't want to buy another SIM if I don't need it so am in a bit of a quandary, particularly as i don't really understand the phone / android, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Toodle pip and thanks,

Rex

Is your Nokia 6030 also on Virgin Mobile?

No, O2. Apologies, I should have included that info.

I plan to get it unlocked, but have only ever had the Nokia (for around 15-20 years! Said I was a phone Luddite!) and know nothing about unlocking.

If you can get the Samsung unlocked, it might be able to work on another network. You may want to check with O2 to be sure however. It might be better to just jam a crowbar into your wallet and pry loose the funds to acquire another SIM for the Samsung though. That would keep your Nokia functional, and it might not cost that much. See what O2 or other cellular providers in the UK can do for you. Remember that the Samsung will need a data plan to work as you are wanting it to.

Just an idea... What I do with my cell phone company is renew my contract every couple of years and get a free upgraded phone when I do.

O2 has similar offers.. just taking a quick look...

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/samsung/ga...ype=paymonthly

I only picked this one sort of at random because it's the same phone I use.

You get a phone with a warrantee plus you know it will work in their network and don't have to pay to have phone unlocked.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Nokia advantages:
    likely a lower cost, since there is no data plan needed because it has no need or use for data access
    probably stays charged on standby for days rather than hours
    more rugged than most smart phones
    no one is going to steal the Nokia

Samsung advantages:
    has access to navigation and other useful applications, at the cost of a data plan (pay as you go may be possible)
    easier to send text and email messages

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the information. Phoned my current Pay Monthly SIM only provider (O2) and my current SIM has a Micro 'snap-out' section. And although my plan does not include any data, I can up-grade the package to include 2gb of data for the same price. So that sounds like the way to go.

However, i have to get the phone unlocked. Therefore need to contact Virgin and they have asked for the IMEi number, and I have no idea. No active SIM, cannot access the IMEI as far as I can ascertain. So guess I will ahve to return to my friend and ask him to use his SIM to arrange for Virgin to unlock.

Just a heads-up.

I am currently in learning / playing mode, and don't know what I am doing. Snapped out the Micro SIM from my Nokia and installed into the Samsung. Had been told that i needed to get the phone unlocked, but like magic, I can make phone calls and seems to connect to the internet.

So guess that it must have been already unlocked. now to figure out how to use it!

Keep track of the am't of data you use esp if you use the phone to browse the internet. You generally don't want to go over the data limit of your plan as that usually accrues extra charges. There is probably a setting to let you know when you reach a certain limit.. eg set it to notify you when you hit 800 Megs out of an allowed 1 Gig.

Also turn off apps you don't want or need. Not only do they sometimes download data to work/update but if they're running they can use up battery power.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies. Transpires the J5 is unlocked and more or less, doing what it should. it is a steep learning curve.

However, I have installed a few apps (Waze / Bubble level / Sudoku) and they are all showing on the relevant screen. But I have tried to install a couple of others that appeared to go through the process, arriving at a message that the app will be installed (click OK) but damned if I can see it anywhere. I have searched Google for an answer which includes clearing the Cache, which I am unable to find.

One of the app is for an endoscope; again, apparently installed but not showing anywhere, even though the screen todl me it was compatible with my device.

What to do next?

Thanks

To provide useful suggestions on the app install issue, we would need to know the exact name of the app and what version of Android is on your new phone.

I can see why these things are addictive!!!! I am one of those who wants to understand and does not like the device (computer, now phone) doing stuff that I don't understand, in the background.
    From reading, seems that Knox is not really necessary.

I have Android 7.1.1 and can not uninstall Knox. All I have read suggests go to Settings/Apps/ Knox/uninstall. but I don't have that option, only disable or Force Stop. While either is probably OK, surely just having on the phone is using space unnecessarily?

Is it possible to remove with 7.1.1?

Thanks

Rex

Thread Information