Which ones are the A fans and which are the B? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which ones are the A fans and which are the B?

The old drive's OS installation will not have the correct drivers for any of the new hardware, so it wouldn't boot as it is currently set up. You would need to do a Repair Install on it to get it working. What version of Windows do you have on the old C: drive? At the very least, I would want a backup image of that drive saved elsewhere before I tried to get that Windows installation updated to work with your new hardware. A better idea would be to clone the drive to a new one and try to get the cloned drive updated.

I wouldn't be surprised that Windows installed on another machine wouldn't boot on the new one.

Did you try any boot discs or flash drives?

I found one problem, the old disk was in legacy mode. I changed the mode in the new BIOS so it can see either and the old disk tried to boot, I got Stop error B7 i.e. hard drive controllers. I tried Startup Repair just because you never know, but it was unable to fix it.

I tried win 10 on a flash drive and it booted just fine but I'd really like to keep the 10,000 installations I have on the old disk so I'm not giving up yet.

You could try a Repair Install of Windows 7. Make sure you have a backup image in case something goes wrong.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...-ddr3.1214289/

https://superuser.com/questions/1266...ut-reformating

Is it B7 or 7B? You'd get a 0x7B BSOD if the hard drive controller drivers don't match. You'd expect that when moving a drive from one computer to another. Since there are no Win7 HD controller drivers for that chipset, I don't think a repair install would help, but you could give it a try.

I'm onto something better. Each mobo maker has their own version of an installation tool that can bundle the necessary drivers into the windows .iso. So you get a decent iso and try to install it but you get the message 'a required CD or DVD driver is not present' from the installer.

In my case, I'll be using the Asus EZ Installer tool, a verified iso and I think the drivers are part of my support disk or the Asus site. With all the right crap in the iso it should boot and be able to install a fresh installation of win 7 to my new SSD.

Once I can reliably boot the machine by any method, it's just a matter of getting those required drivers onto the drive I really want to boot from.

Guys, remember I briefly had an issue where the machine wouldn't boot if any USB drives were attached? Could that be caused by the 'Device' file that gets created when you plug a USB into a TV to watch a movie. It just occurred to me that the system could be trying and failing to make sense of that file.

That is certainly a possibility. You could try a test, attempting to boot with one plugged in.

What kind of TV is that? I don't have a "Device" file on my flash drives.

I don't think that's the issue, but you could delete the file and try it.

Thread Information