Which ones are the A fans and which are the B?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which ones are the A fans and which are the B?

Which ones are the A fans and which are the B?

I'm putting a ROG Strix machine together and it has 6 fans. A1, A2, A3 and B1, B2 and B3.

I'm assuming that the A fans are the three fans at the front door and the B are the remaining chassis fans. Anyone know if that's correct, or if it even matters.

Thanks - rev

What is the exact model?

The mobo is Rog Strix Z390-E.

I'm also supposed to have one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0 coming from the front panel but I only have 2 identical connectors marked USB. The 3.0 appears to have a completely different cable end. The reason I ask about the fan connectors is because one set may be monitoring heat or airflow.

The passage at the bottom of page 13 of the user manual seems to suggest the USB 3.0 from the front panel is optional. If the other two are for USB 2.0, I have no idea where to put the second one.

Where are you seeing the 6 fan port letters? I only see CPU_OPT, CPU_FAN, etc in the manual.
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...lpDesk_Manual/

Or are you talking about the case? You would need to look at the case manual for the fan assignments.

>Where are you seeing the 6 fan port letters?
    It's labelled 3 in the user manual but there are three places labelled 3, one at top right about 3" from the top right corner, and another 3 at bottom right and another on the top right side. Between those three locations, three fans are accommodated. The question is which three and where do the other three go?

No, where did you get A1, A2, etc, from?

For the motherboard, 3 just means fan ports. They are listed on page 1-3 of the manual.

one at top right about 3" from the top right corner
    It says CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT, so those are your CPU heatsink fan ports.

and another 3 at bottom right and another on the top right side.
    CHA_FAN2 = case fan2
    w_PUMP = if you have a watercooling pump
    M.2_FAN = if you have a fan for your M.2 SSD drives

I think you mean middle left side? I don't see any other headers on the top right except CPU
    CHA_FAN2 = case fan1
    AIO_PUMP = liquid cooling pump

AFAIK, they are all 4 pin headers. you could still use them if you just need to power the fans.

Two harnesses come from the front panel, each with three connectors marked fan A1, A2, A3 and B1, B2, B3 respectively. If you don't have a case you won't know that. Some could be for a completely different mobo or for AMD. That's what I'm trying to find out. It may not be important, I could just plug 'em all in and see what happens.

You didn't say the make/model of your case, so I couldn't look up a manual.

Fan pinouts are pretty standard. You could just plug them in one at a time to figure out which is which.

>You didn't say the make/model of your case
    Thought you were asking for the mobo brand. I can't see a name on it so I looked up the receipt, it's supposed to be a Rosewill Thor V2.

I tied off the A fan and B fan harnesses. I'll just find any header for any fan.

Next up, I can't find a two pin Thermal Sensor connector to attach to the mobo and the top of the case has a docking station powered by the old type of power connector but the power supply doesn't have any of the old type and no adapters were provided. Getting closer though.

I'm almost there but I still have to find locations for the following:

* the two pin thermal sensor connector has a location but I have no two pin connector
    * the HDD LED (I have connector but don't know where to put it)
    * the power LED (same as above)
    * the power switch (same as above)
    * the reset switch (same as above)
    * there is no 20-3 connector for the front panel

I'm stalled until I can figure out what to do about all those.

According to this post, I've connected the fans incorrectly. None of them connect to the mobo.
    https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...stion.1493266/
    Last edited by Reverend; February 2nd, 2020 at 01:57 PM.

Page 1-17 of the user manual (last download on the page Midknyte posted the link to) has the fan header locations on the motherboard. Page 1-20 has the pin locations for the front panel switches and LEDs. Page 1-16 has the location for the thermal sensor. Page 1-20 has the location for the 20-3 connector.

>Page 1-17 of the user manual (last download on the page Midknyte posted the link to) has the fan header locations on the motherboard.
    Right, but it doesn't say which fan is fan1, which is fan2 etc and if the fans are not connected to the front panel speed controls, those controls won't work.

>Page 1-20 has the pin locations for the front panel switches and LEDs.
    Thanks, I found those and I'm assuming that ground is - because some are not marked with + and - ?

>Page 1-16 has the location for the thermal sensor.
    Right, but I have no connector to attach to that location and I would think that's important.

>Page 1-20 has the location for the 20-3 connector.
    Same again, no connector is provided for that location. Maybe a 20-3 connector is an option that's not necessary if you have the individual connectors for the front panel LEDs?

If the fans are attached to the front panel they don't come on. So I went with the mobo connections, there are two but I have 5 fans in addition to the CPU fan.

I turned it on. The fans are running but no signal to the monitor so I can't tell if it's booted or not. Do I have to do something in the BIOS?

Thread Information