new pie me 1 terabyte trouble

Thread: new pie me 1 terabyte trouble

new pie me 1 terabyte trouble

Messed up. Installed new me 1 terabyte drive. Used Acronis to format. New drive seen as F, reflects correct format info. When cloning get the message yu have only one drive, etc Trying to clone old me 250 drive to the lo the larger. Acronis doesn't seem to be working, else, more than likely, I've messed up and now, in trying to correct matters, I'm messing up even more. Maybe I should partition the new me drive since my win 10 pro running on a gigabyte z motherboard doesn't like the one terabyte drive. Don't know. As mentioned it appears formatted at drive F:, but I can't get it to set up so it boots as C: Help is appreciate, as always. Appears in Disc Management, storage as healthy, active, primary partition. Befuddled. The insert instruction sheet was useless though itn's an Intel me drive. Thanks, Jim S.
    Jim S.

Did some more trials and used the build in image backup feature of win 10 pro. Image shows on the me disc (now E and it indicates that 100 gb size, a bit larger than the original report on drive C:. Again, can't get it to become the boot drive or drive O:\ Or C:\ drive. Jim S.
    Jim S.

I'm guessing you Acronis True Image. It would also help if you said which version of Acronis TI you have.

If you are cloning the old drive, you don't need to format the new drive first. I don't see how partitioning would help.

You would need to copy the old drive to the new drive, and then remove the old drive or swap SATA ports in order for new drive to be seen as C:.

It would be safer if you created an IMAGE backup of your old C: drive to an external USB drive first. Swap out the old drive with the 1TB drive. Then restore the image backup from the external USB drive to the 1TB drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1 View Post
    Messed up. Installed new me 1 terabyte drive. Used Acronis to format. New drive seen as F, reflects correct format info. When cloning get the message yu have only one drive, etc Trying to clone old me 250 drive to the lo the larger. Acronis doesn't seem to be working, else, more than likely, I've messed up and now, in trying to correct matters, I'm messing up even more. Maybe I should partition the new me drive since my win 10 pro running on a gigabyte z motherboard doesn't like the one terabyte drive. Don't know. As mentioned it appears formatted at drive F:, but I can't get it to set up so it boots as C: Help is appreciate, as always. Appears in Disc Management, storage as healthy, active, primary partition. Befuddled. The insert instruction sheet was useless though itn's an Intel me drive. Thanks, Jim S.
    An older version of Acronis, but it worked without trouble when the previous 250 GB me was installed. No problems at all. I was able to do an image copy using the onboard win 10 pro program. Copied to F or E depending on what item i'm booting from. The properties show 100 gb of material on the one terabyte drive. The usb hard drive it was copied from shows a bit less than that amount of material. Problem seems to center on the one tb not being recognized as a boot drive. Sows up n the disc management folder under storage as one tb also, but again, cannot get it recognized as the boot drive, thought it woud appear to have the original image file onboard.
    Could it be that my motherboard doesn't like anything above, say, 500 GBs, and that would go for Acronis as well, when it reports that only one drive is noted, and the operation requires two drives? Stuck. Jim S
    Jim S.

Post the make and model of the motherboard and of the 1 TB hard drive.

Does the 1 TB drive show up in the BIOS?

An older version of Acronis, but it worked without trouble when the previous 250 GB me was installed. No problems at all. I was able to do an image copy using the onboard win 10 pro program. Copied to F or E depending on what item i'm booting from. The properties show 100 gb of material on the one terabyte drive. The usb hard drive it was copied from shows a bit less than that amount of material. Problem seems to center on the one tb not being recognized as a boot drive. Sows up n the disc management folder under storage as one tb also, but again, cannot get it recognized as the boot drive, thought it woud appear to have the original image file onboard.
    Could it be that my motherboard doesn't like anything above, say, 500 GBs, and that would go for Acronis as well, when it reports that only one drive is noted, and the operation requires two drives? Stuck. Jim S
    Wondering if the m/b will support the 1 tb. It's a gigabyte z97x-ud5h (socket 0). The 1 tb is an intel ssd6 1024 gb with an instruction manual that superman couldn't read. Thought if I partitioned the drive to say, 500 gb or so, then worked from there, figuring that maybe the m/b doesn't support the larger me drive. Jim S
    Jim S.

Is that Intel SSD6 an M.2 drive?

What BIOS version does that motherboard have?

Have you checked the Gigabyte hardware compatibility list to see if that SSD is supported on your BIOS version?

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...UD5H-rev-10#ov

It would have been helpful if you said you had an SSD to begin with. Partitioning probably wouldn't make a difference. It's more likely a compatibility issue as jdc2000 mentioned.

Sows up n the disc management folder under storage as one tb also, but again, cannot get it recognized as the boot drive, thought it woud appear to have the original image file onboard.
    How are you seeing the 1TB drive in Disk Management? If you still have the old SSD (specify the make and model), then it would still be booting off of that.

What is the exact version of Acronis TI you are using and what steps are you running?
    Did you make an image backup, replace old SSD with new SSD, then restore image backup to new SSD?

The M.2 Qualified Support List is at the link below:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...rt#support-doc

It does not list any 1 TB SSD drives on it, unfortunately. This does not necessarily mean that they won't work, but there is no guarantee.

There are BIOS downloads at the link below that might help, or they might not:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...upport-dl-bios

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    The M.2 Qualified Support List is at the link below:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...rt#support-doc

It does not list any 1 TB SSD drives on it, unfortunately. This does not necessarily mean that they won't work, but there is no guarantee.

There are BIOS downloads at the link below that might help, or they might not:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...upport-dl-bios
    From browsing the net, it doesn't appear as thought the 1 tb me is going to work on the motherboard. Damn! I'll just hang on to the thing, and maybe some day I'll build a new unit (running an inel i5), and try again. Folks on the net have nothing positive to say about the matchup, even after they've downloaded a BIOS update. Just not gonna work this time,. Will restore the former 250 me drive, tidy up, and look forward to the future. Thanks to all for the assist. Jim S.
    Jim S.

From browsing the net, it doesn't appear as thought the 1 tb me is going to work on the motherboard. Damn! I'll just hang on to the thing, and maybe some day I'll build a new unit (running an inel i5), and try again. Folks on the net have nothing positive to say about the matchup, even after they've downloaded a BIOS update. Just not gonna work this time,. Will restore the former 250 me drive, tidy up, and look forward to the future. Thanks to all for the assist. Jim S.
    The original me: Crucial MX 200, 6 GB SED, M2 SSD 250 GB SATA Jim S.
    Jim S.

The original me: Crucial MX 200, 6 GB SED, M2 SSD 250 GB SATA Jim S.
    An M.2. Sad to say, not supported in Gigabyte compatible list. Again, thanks to all for the assist. Jim S.
    Jim S.

Thread Information