Network wall jack works fine until I plug in a switch

Thread: Network wall jack works fine until I plug in a switch

Network wall jack works fine until I plug in a switch

As the title states,

I have a situation wherein I am working at a local fire-station.
    In one of the offices the network wall jack works fine until I plug in a switch.
    Then none of the switch's ports give me internet.
    I have tried a new switch and it gives the same results.

Any thoughts what could be causing this?

I am pulling my hair out with this one.

Thanks!

What is on the other end of that wall jack? I am assuming that the other end of that cable goes to an Ethernet switch, or to a patch panel that has a cable that goes to a port on a switch.

Do you have other switches connected to wall jacks working successfully at this location? My guess would be no.

Some switches have special requirements for daisy chaining.

Possibly useful links:

https://www.dummies.com/programming/...work-switches/

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it...hain-switches/

Post the make(s) and model(s) of the switches you are using.

Thanks for the response JDC,

Other end of the wall jack is a simple 5 port unmanaged switch, then going to router then modem (So, yes other switches and routers work fine) The switches I tried are cheap tplink or netgear 5 port unmanaged switches.
    Is it possible that the wall jack is wired in such a way that a cable plugged in works fine but a switch doesn't?

Some switches require daisy chained switches to be connected to a specific port on the switches. You may want to check the user guides for the switches that you have.

Also, there are only 2 approved wiring sequences for network cables, 568-A and 568-B. Each cable must be wired the same on each end (568-A and 568-A or 568-B and 568-B) unless you want a crossover cable to connect 2 computers directly without a switch. If your cables are not using one of the 2 approved methods, there is no guarantee that they will work properly, especially for longer cable lengths. The cable should also be at least Category 5 and preferably Category 5e or better. Category 3 cable is not suitable for modern data transmission speeds.

Cable wiring info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Some switches require daisy chained switches to be connected to a specific port on the switches. You may want to check the user guides for the switches that you have.

Also, there are only 2 approved wiring sequences for network cables, 568-A and 568-B. Each cable must be wired the same on each end (568-A and 568-A or 568-B and 568-B) unless you want a crossover cable to connect 2 computers directly without a switch. If your cables are not using one of the 2 approved methods, there is no guarantee that they will work properly, especially for longer cable lengths. The cable should also be at least Category 5 and preferably Category 5e or better. Category 3 cable is not suitable for modern data transmission speeds.

Cable wiring info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable
    Thanks Much!

I'll take a look next time I'm out there.

The cable should have printing on it indicating what category it is rated for.

Thread Information