[RESOLVED] Mine are always fun: PC is slow but it's not the pc. it happens in the bios too

Thread: [RESOLVED] Mine are always fun: PC is slow but it's not the pc. it happens in the bios too

Resolved [RESOLVED] Mine are always fun: PC is slow but it's not the pc. it happens in the bios too

Ok by the title I'm sure it explained. Here is what is ruled out.
    It is not heat, all my temps stay under 40 c
    It can't be ram.. in bios but I do run 32 GB of ddr4 3200 non shared
    Swapped the video card (because I have seen this issue before because of vid cards)
    I have reset the biois
    I have updated the BIOS (4096) man that's huge as far as I'm concerned
    Nothing has helped so far
    So I am lost.

Hope you guys can help.
    I always lay out big ones.

Only change I made in this thing was a ram upgrade. I did try the old ram and still got the same response.

Going to buy a sapphire pulse in a couple weeks just to make sure, It is a very small case. Gonna kill this PSU yet. And no, I'm not overdrawing it yet.
    Last edited by Ashalon1; January 17th, 2020 at 03:25 AM.

Ok, just ran a new PSU and it runs just the same. so it's not power.

Please state what the Exact problem is.

Does it take 32 minutes to boot the pc into windows or is it more like 18 seconds?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

It's slow, laggy slow. unresponsive anywhere. Windows boot time is fine. It is just unresponsive. I move the mouse,it takes a quarter second. I click a key, it takes a quarter second. Doesn't matter if I'm in the bios or in windows.

What keyboard and mouse are you using? Did you try different ones?

I did right away. I should have mentioned that part. I tried 3 different keyboards in all ports. same response time. Linux even runs sloppy. I am not used to that. I also went through unplugging the the not needed. Nothing had changed EXCEPT?

(I'll attempt to keep it clean and you'll understand), These 2 little *ahem...kids keep throwing my outside breaker off. HP want's 268 dollars for a new power supply (I think this one is 280 or 300 watts). Who on this earth would pay that? But I ruled that out. If it is the video card that is actually causing the issues then I am so screwed.

I never buy proprietary stuff but I was in a pinch that day

so, here is the actual pc
    HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0013w https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06102953 . The only thing I had a chance to upgrade so far was the ram.
    Last edited by Ashalon1; January 17th, 2020 at 09:55 PM.

Nobody? This stupid sunflower board is annoying. Leave it to HP to mess it all up.

Did you look in Event Viewer for any errors?

If there is a Legacy USB setting in the bios, you could try enabling that.

I didn't even bother because it reacts the same way in the bios. It is not a windows problem. I think (hope I got it) the front side usb's are the issue. I just tried to plug my controller in front side and I heard the neat windows ding but the controller isn't recognized. I plug into the board and it's fine. I really despise taking these small things apart, even though I have replaced every proprietary HP screw with a real one. This is NOT a gaming PC. I don't care what they advertise it as. Still gonna replace the 1050 vid card but that's a new animal. RX580. I need power. (Now I sound like Tim Taylor)

Legacy is enabled by default.

Ok, now I am actually wondering if it is the video card going bad. Only way I was able to test the video card swap (due to low space) I had to extend the pcie outside of the box. I only have asus rx580s 8Gb and these are big cards and then run from a separate PSU. It wasn't as bad and I did find an issue with the front usb's but that has been fixed. The problem persists, however? This 1050 is now squawking like a child on fire. The wife can't hear it but to me it's plain as day.

Question:
    Is there a power supply I can actually jam into this without too many mods that will accommodate a sapphire pulse 570? Or is that asking too much. OR are there any other small form cards that may fit.

Still hate HP

another thing I noticed because I ran memtest on these 2 sticks as that they come back at 64 bit and not 128. I have no options in the bios and am looking for a custom bios. Told you guys. Animals here.

Fixed. It did happen to be the video card and I picked up a sapphire rx 570 for cheap. The power supply was a little different to deal with because I figured I needed 600 w total at least and then having to watch my rails. I had a 650 sitting here that I cannibalized and was able to get all but the PFC onto the new board. I don't like that but it will do for now. I jammed this into the original power supply case and went for it on my bench. It ran great. Then it was getting everything back in. Cable management was no fun but it looks good and is clear. I have yet to put the side on to check thermals but I will mark this as done.

Thanks.

Thread Information