Windows Security keeps turning itself off.

Thread: Windows Security keeps turning itself off.

Windows Security keeps turning itself off.

My Windows Defender keeps giving me a yellow mark. When I check it I see that is needs to be turned on. This happens once a week. This is the only antivirus I have on the computer. Why if this is the only antivirus I need on Windows 10 does it shut itself off? Drives me nutz.
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

Windows Defender does not usually turn itself off. You could check Event Viewer for clues. I would run Malwarebytes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    My Windows Defender keeps giving me a yellow mark. When I check it I see that is needs to be turned on. This happens once a week. This is the only antivirus I have on the computer. Why if this is the only antivirus I need on Windows 10 does it shut itself off? Drives me nutz.
    Well I have 5 Windows 10 computers and it happens on them all randomly. I also see customers with it shut off as well. So it is not just my one and only home computer.

So that advice is not satisfactory. Anyone else have this issue?
    Thanks, JB

If you want "satisfactory" advice then you should include those details when you ask a question.
    Yours said
    My Windows Defender keeps giving me
    That would lead anyone who read it to believe it was just your computer.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

If this is happening on multiple computers, AND you do not have any third-party antivirus software installed, AND there is no malware present, then the link below might be useful:

https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-w...-group-policy/

I would still check Event Viewer to see if there are any errors that might indicate another cause.

Yea, I only use Defender on all Windows 10 computers. I also notice on all my computers and some that I work on that there always seems to be a yellow mark on the icon showing up and I have to go look at the notifications to see what it is. So it's always something like, "do a scan" or something that I have to say "dismiss" to. I don't know why it can't take care of itself automatically.

I wish they had a schedule right there so I can set it and let it update and run itself. I guess you may have to create that yourself in task scheduler. I don't know why they don't make it easier. I remember my Avast had a scheduler right in the program that I could set by opening up the Avast interface and set it up.
    Thanks, JB

Ok so I decided to make a schedule scan just to show myself I can do it. This is what happened:

When I did this on a Dell desktop and scheduled it 5 minutes ahead of my time. It never started. I waited two minutes to see if it was late. I then deleted that schedule and scheduled another 5 minutes ahead and it still not run on the time that I scheduled. I scheduled it every day starting today(the day that I did it) and opened up Task Manager and was watching Windows security and other apps and nothing changed and nothing scanned. Even in the Windows Defender window there was nothing going on.
    Another brilliant Microsoft program not working. Nice!
    Thanks, JB

Yes I went thru those websites earlier when I did my scheduled scan. I set it up just like it was written. Ok, now I am going to try it on my main desktop computer. Give me a minute. Gonna schedule it for 5 minutes from now. After a 5 minute pause,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh wow, guess what? Wrong, it did not start to scan. So that's two computers that it doesn't work on. I went to Settings and had to manually click on Quick Scan to start it. Right on! I was right about Microsoft, it don't work!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Thanks, JB

Ok, setting it up to scan in the next 10 minutes while I surf the net. See what happens. So far it did not work twice on this first computer I tried it on. Others on the net wonder if it is working in the backround real time as well. I see that it is updating because it shows that date though.
    Thanks, JB

Ok, it was supposed to go off at 9:45 because I edited it and turned up the clock and it did not scan. This is the third time it did not do a scheduled scan. In the Task Scheduler it said that it terminated. So the Defender does not work with the Task Scheduler. I am wondering if it works at all unless you manually do it. The updates for it are working. Hum, good thing to know. I think someone should say something to Microsoft. I now have tried it 5 times on two different computers with Windows 10. HELLO MICROSOFT!
    Thanks, JB

If it never scans anything, then it doesn't really matter whether it updates itself or not. There should be a status code for the scheduled task that indicates whether it ran successfully or not.

This is just one reason why I don't use Windows Defender on systems where it is critical to have top level antivirus and antimalware protection.

Yep no status code for when it was supposed to run at 9:45 am. I did a scan about 9:30 and that showed that this was my last scan. Wonder why Microsuck won't set up Defender so it will shedule a scan? I get so angry at this crap.
    People wonder why I don't use a smart phone. I have a nice flip phone. I tell them I am tired of having technology at every door. I go to the gym and I am not going to be checking my email or surfing the net. Lemme alone. I only do it at home. Or when I am fixing someone's stuff at their house.
    Thanks, JB

Thread Information