Failed Win 10 Update. How to correct?

Thread: Failed Win 10 Update. How to correct?

Failed Win 10 Update. How to correct?

Had a little trouble with my browser, though it could have been an update in the background that stalled the browser. Closed programs and tried to reboot. screen appeared indicating that Win 10 was 30% into an Update download. It stayed that way from 4pm until 10pm when I decided to shutfown. Since then it starts slow an only the simplest prog will run.

I was under the impression the was a way to revert back to an earlier working version. Not win 10 back to Win7, but back before this most recent update, but I can't find that feature.

I did find the option in Control Panel to troubleshoot an
    Update. I started that and it ran for hours without changing. Probably 4 or 5 hours before I cancelled it.

It was -

Control Panel \ Troubleshooting \ Windows Update
    Resolving Problem
    .... stopping bit service

Then an actively bar the keeps moving, but never changes beyond that.

Isn't there a way to move the OS back to before this last failed up date?

There is the option to Reset/Restore Win, but even under the best of circumstance, it preserves my data but removes my Program and Settings. I just re-installed everything after a hard drive crash, not egar to do it all again.

Any thought as to how I can resolve this?

I've been through Settings and Control Panel and can't find anything that looks like it will take me back to just before this last update.

HELP!

Steve
    Last edited by boyblue; January 11th, 2020 at 03:00 PM.

It sounds like you are referring to System Restore. Hopefully you had it enabled.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Sell, it is a new re-install of WIN 10, so if it is on by default, it should be there.

I'll check it out.

Steve

Unless MS changed their mind recently, System Restore is OFF by default.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-u...ore-windows-10

I saw a video that said you could verify whether System Restore Points are ON. Go to File Explorer, Right Click on the Main OS Drive and select Properties. In Properties is a TAB for Set Points. I found the Tab but no Set Points, and more importantly, I option to turn Set Points ON. Which is strange.

Is there some other location where System Restore Set Points can be verified,and the feature can be turned ON/Off? Though it is probably unwise to turn it On until the computer is working properly.

I uninstalled the latest Win update that was listed in Uninstall. Not sure that helped. I recently installed Vivaldi Browser, so will uninstall that in hope of bringing the computer back to more functional.

Not having much luck m here.

Steve

Vivaldi is probably not causing this issue. The latest Microsoft "updates" have caused several issues with various functionality in Windows and related software. The symptoms you described are typical of a failure in a Microsoft update.

I don't see a "Set Points" tab in the OS drive properties.

I already provided a link to see if you have System Restore enabled or not. It also shows how to see the list of restore points.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-u...ore-windows-10

I will turn it Protection ON but not until I get thing straightened out.

But thanks for the link.

Steve

In Program Uninstall, there was one item to a previous Win Update, which I uninstalled. I'm hoping that will allow me to re-install a Win update to correct things.

I'm not seeing excess CPU usage, so I'm think this is purely a software problem.

Still.open to suggestions.

Steve

Thread Information