Preparing a new Windows install for a new user, want to reset/delete all accounts.

Thread: Preparing a new Windows install for a new user, want to reset/delete all accounts.

Question Preparing a new Windows install for a new user, want to reset/delete all accounts.

My nephew's harddrive died on his laptop, he said he didn't care about any of the files, just wants it working again.

Ok, simple enough, just replace the HDD (or even use a NVME instead) and reinstall Windows. The issue is that I would need to create an account for myself first in order to install the drivers and configure it. And since he won't be here to create his account, I basically need it to be a "blank" install after all the drivers and everything are configured, same as if he had just bought it new and it asks him to create an account when he boots it up for the first time.

Is there a way to reset/delete all accounts after I have set it up so it asks him to create an account when he turns it on?
    "A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - William Faulkner

There is a way to do that, since computer manufacturers set up their drives that way.

Possibly useful link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...sktop-editions

However, this is usually only worthwhile if you have a LOT of computers to set up, as it is a lot of trouble to prepare the image(s). A much easier and faster option is just to ask him what he wants for a Computer Name and a User Name, and then set up a Local user account with that name and a password of your choosing. Then, when he gets the computer, he can just log in using the password you set and then change the password to whatever he wants. This is what I would do in your situation.

One other consideration is that the latest versions of Windows 10 do NOT let you set up a Local user account if you have the computer connected to the Internet during that part of the setup process. Your relative probably does not know this and would not be able to create the user account he wants if he has an Internet connection during the setup process.

I assume that he is NOT planning on using BitLocker to encrypt the hard drive also.

I don't believe so, no. Doubt he is even aware of it.
    "A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - William Faulkner

If he is not using BitLocker, then the procedure I mentioned above will produce the same end results as the OEM installation setup would, with a lot less work on your part. Once he changes the password on the user account, he will have the same level of security he would have if he used the OEM setup procedure. Since he is probably not paying you anything for this, it will save you a lot of effort.

Thread Information