A Query About Internet Speed

Thread: A Query About Internet Speed

A Query About Internet Speed

Is there any way one can get a true internet speed test? The speed test I have been using is one that Centurylink provides.
    I believe it is put out by OOgla. It seems to be a bit far-fetched. I have 40mb service & it always seems to exceed that.
    And is there a reasonable way to determine what the wifi part should be? Thanks
    Where there's a will, there's a way

The transfer speed between your computer and an internet server depends on all of the links between your computer, your ISP, and the server you are wanting to transfer to or from. The ISP's test checks the speed between your computer and the ISP.

Link:

https://www.lifewire.com/internet-sp...-sites-2626177

Your wireless speed is just the speed from your computer and your wireless router or access point.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-a...icleNum=136766

https://www.linksys.com/us/r/resourc...network-speed/

jdc2000; thank you for the information you provided. It was very helpful. Hopefully you might be able to help me with another plaguing issue. Besides using Webroot as my primary ant-virus program, I also use CCleaner, the

free version. Whenever, I do a clean up process with CCleaner, it will say that I have trackers, sometime maybe 400 or 500. It cleans them out but then later, it finds more. I have been using Google Chrome as my browser

because it seems to be the main source of control for Android phones & many other things. However, lately when I try to do a search for an item on the web, it will not allow it till I add it to its settings.

And if i find the source that I am looking for, soon it is covered up by some other ad & this goes on and on...For us old folks, this becomes a real dilemma!! Hopefully you can offer a helpful suggestion. Thanks much !!

Trackers are cookies that allow websites to see what other websites you've visited. They can be a little disconcerting and/or annoying say if you look at an article that has mentioned something like vacuum cleaners then suddenly get a bunch of ads trying to sell you a vacuum cleaner but they are largely harmless.

You can keep deleting them but they will come back as you surf.

Optionally you can set your browser to not accept third party cookies to get rid of most of them but the problem is that by doing that you sometimes severely reduce functionality on some sites that rely on ads for revenue.. Facebook and Disqus discussion threads for example.

Bottom line is not to lose sleep over it and just keep using CCleaner regularly. I run it twice a day. Sometimes more.

Also as far as download speeds go, as jdc2000 shows, peak speeds are usually hampered or throttled by remote servers and not your own personal computer/network. I have a Gigabite download speed which you'd think would make things just fly but I notice little difference between that and when I had 30 Megabyte download speed. I would notice a difference if my household had a bunch of other people surfing or downloading at the same time as me because there would be plenty of excess overhead bandwidth available but that's not the case since I live alone. It's there if I need it but I don't need it.

Speed test sites tell me I have full 1 Gig speed available but they're set up to deal with that huge amount of data flow unlike your average corporate website/server which could not deal with it.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks fink, for the nice reply. In other words " keep your cool!!" Have a great weekend...............

Thread Information