Network, printer, laptop, WTH?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network, printer, laptop, WTH?

Question Network, printer, laptop, WTH?

Hi and Happy New Year!

Been a really long time since I've been on here, but I remember this is a great place to come to for assistance.
    Beating my head against a wall over this. New laptop a year ago , Win 10. Have a 2 or 3 year old Brother printer. We switched service providers a year ago. We, hubby and I, can NOT get the printer to be seen on the network although it says it's on the network. When I go into service provider's site and see what devices are online, printer is not there.
    Have turned off firewall, and anti-virus, but have since turned it back on.
    Printer says it's on network, can print report.
    Have installed Brother software
    This computer has never been set up to print on our network printer.
    Any questions, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

In Dog We Trust

The printer should be able to report what IP address it has been assigned. Once you have that IP address, try the following command from a Command Prompt:

ping xxx.www.yyy.zzz

(Where xxx.www.yyy.zzz is the IP address of the printer). Report back with the results.

Also, post the model number of the Brother printer.

Hmm...

Don't have IP Addy. Here is the report below.
    Also, Brother HL-2270DW

WLAN Report
    Connection Ok
    <Configuration>
    Network name (SSID) (last name here)
    Hardware address (MAC) 00:80:92:89:d8:50
    Communication Mode Infrastructure
    Authentication Type WPA/WPA2-PSK
    Encryption AES
    Network Channel 11

Thank you.
    Last edited by GetaGrrrip; January 1st, 2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typo

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

Wireless info:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqe...aq00002037_011

Note: I always assign a fixed IP address to the printer.

Wireless connection. We have 2 networks, one is a 2g - printer is on that one, and a 5g.
    I've gone through the entire brother page several times, it will not locate my printer. Tried it on both networks just to be sure. I have driver, but can't finish install.

How do I assign a fixed IP address? Would it be a good idea to try a wired connection first? I can go buy a cable, not sure where the one I had has gone to.
    I can't get through the driver set up as it ultimately says:
    Brother Printing Device Installation
    No devices could be found over the network
    Have you connected your printing device to your wireless access point / router?
    If not then click okay (I do that, no luck either...) in this dialogue box then click wireless set up in the next.
    If you've already done this then please check the following:
    Machine is on and no error indications
    If you are running any anti-virus software or have a firewall, check that it's not blocking any communication between your printing device (please refer to any instructions provided by your anti-virus software or firewall manufacturer on how to do this.

I have made sure my laptop is on the 2g network.

Hope that helps figure this out or narrow it down.
    Thanks again
    In Dog We Trust

I would try a wired connection.

However, you may be able to get it to be seen on the wireless network if you assign it a fixed IP address that is in the same range as your other network devices.

Link:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqe...aq00000347_002

To find out what IP address range you have, on one of your networked computers, open a Command Prompt window and use the following command:

ipconfig /all

Find your wireless adapter and look for the IPv4 Address, post that here.

Will have cable tomorrow so says Amazon. Will try to get IP address using info. in link.

Thanks!
    In Dog We Trust

Waiting on the cable to arrive, so much for one or two day delivery...
    In Dog We Trust

You could check on the IP address range your computers are using while you wait for the cable.

Hi,

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.214(Preferred)

Cable finally got here.

In Dog We Trust

OK, with that IP address range, your printer should be assigned a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.xxx where xxx is a number from 1 to 255 that is not used by any other device. Since your network probably does not have 250+ devices on it, you could probably use either 10, 20, or 250. Your DHCP Server is probably set to assign IP addresses to devices starting with 192.168.0.201 so I would probably use 192.168.0.20 for the printer. Before assigning the printer this IP address, open a Command Prompt window and use the following command to make sure that no other device already has this address:

ping 192.168.0.20

If you get no replies, then that IP address is not in use at that time. You could also check the results of the following command to make sure that 192.168.0.20 does not show up anywhere:

ipconfig /all

If all else fails, you can connect the network cable from the printer to your network switch or router and then see if the Brother software can discover the printer. If you can assign an IP address to the printer in the correct range, that should not be necessary.

Did what you suggested, tried using the ARP command. Says it won't work, needs elevation. Don't understand that as I'm admin, but think from what I read that the printer must already have a TCP/IP address. But Hell, I'm not sure at this point. I was careful and made sure to check that there wasn't a device already on the network with the 20 on it.

Both laptop and printer are on the 2G network, double-checked that.

Tomorrow will try hooking up printer to router and trying that route. Still don't understand why this is being so difficult, why I can't see the printer on the network although it has to be there. Laptop just isn't seeing it.

Thanks, will sleep on it and hopefully it'll make sense in the morning!
    In Dog We Trust

To run the arp command elevated, see the link below to open a Command Prompt window elevated:

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10...in-win-10.html

Resolved

So I stumbled and struggled multiple times. I ran cmd as admin. but could not get it to work. More than likely I did something wrong in the string when I entered. Dunno. BUT (drum roll please!)

I CAN NOW PRINT!!!!!! WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!

Yep, totally weinied (sp?) out and used the printer cable hooked up to laptop. Magic. Abracadabra! The rabbit came out of the hat.

Thanks so much for your help, although I stumbled I would still consider this a win as I can print I also learned things, which is always cool.
    In Dog We Trust

Thread Information