Network, printer, laptop, WTH? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network, printer, laptop, WTH?

Did you use a USB cable or the network cable?

Can the printer now be seen on the network?

At least you can print, but it would be nice to get the networking capabilities operational again.

It doesn't matter if the clients are connected to 2.4GHz or 5GHz; it's the same network. It's like coming into a room from the front door vs. a side door.

What is the make/model of your router? You should be able to see the clients listed on the router's config page. You'd also be able to see the DHCP scope (the range of IPs that the router assigns). You'd want the printer to be OUTSIDE the DHCP scope, so that the router doesn't assign the same IP to another computer.

I used a printer cable plugged into USB of laptop.
    Well, I didn't check to see if I could find it on the network, but I can print without cable, so I should be able to. Not at home to check right now. Will do later.
    In Dog We Trust

Okay, didn't know about it working if connected to either network, thanks for that info. Will advise of router info. later today / evening. I was able to see devices using wifi when i was on provider's site....not sure if I was on router's config. page or not TBH...
    In Dog We Trust

So you got it printing using the USB cable, and can now print with the USB cable to the printer disconnected?

JDC, to clarify, I used printer cable hooked to laptop, and ran through set up. Yes, I can print w/o cable now, wirelessly.
    In Dog We Trust

OK, then it sounds like your problem is now solved, at least until your DHCP server assigns a different IP address to the printer. If that happens, post back and we will try again to assign a fixed IP address to the printer.

Thanks for the update.

Brother printer now shows on the network, has an IP address of 192.168.0.217 Connected via wireless gateway, connection point WIFI. Panoramic router. "You'd also be able to see the DHCP scope (the range of IPs that the router assigns). You'd want the printer to be OUTSIDE the DHCP scope, so that the router doesn't assign the same IP to another computer." I'm not sure about the info. you've asked in quoted above.

Thanks
    In Dog We Trust

Your router is probably set up as the DHCP Server. If so, it will provide IP addresses to all devices connected to it. Somewhere in the setup web pages for that router should be a setting that would allow you to specify a range of IP addresses to assign (or to exclude from assignment). You would want to use the printer setup menus or driver setup to assign an fixed IP address to the printer that is either within the excluded IP address range that your DHCP server is using, or outside of the range that it will use. That is why we asked for the make and model of the router, so we can find the manual for it and let you know how to access the router's setup pages to check on and update the settings. If any of that is still unclear, please let us know.

It appears to be a Panoramic

Gateway Details
    Gateway
    Model Name
    CGM4140COM
    Vendor
    Technicolor
    Revision
    CM MAC
    8417EFF6A197
    Firmware
    CGM4140COM_3.12p10s2_PROD_sey
    In Dog We Trust

Looks like it is a Technicolor CGM4140COM. Who is your ISP?

If you didn't change the default settings, you can try this:
    Open a browser and enter 192.168.0.1 in the addressbar

The default Technicolor CGM4140COM Router Username is: admin
    The default Technicolor CGM4140COM Router Password is: password

There should be something like DHCP scope or a Starting and Ending IP range. You want your printer to be OUTSIDE of that range.

Ex. If the range is 192.168.0.200-250, you'd want to use something like 192.168.0.10 for your printer.

Cox Communications. Says Panoramic on outside of router, but now that I think about it's "Panoramic WIFI"
    I don't think we ever changed any settings, but I get to the Gateway Settings page and can't log in. I've been locked out for 5 mins. a few times already tonight. I tried the info you sent, then I tried my log in which won't work for that page.
    Before log in (cuz I sure can't log in...) it gives me wifi config, home network, connected devices with host name, connected devices and connection type.
    In Dog We Trust

It sounds like the ISP might have changed the default password. I don't think it's worth it to reset the router either.

I'd still assign the printer an IP that's lower like 10 or 20. I agree with jdc2000 that the DHCP scope probably starts in the 200s.

Thread Information