[RESOLVED] Factory restore

Thread: [RESOLVED] Factory restore

Resolved [RESOLVED] Factory restore

How good is running a full Factory restore at wiping\making all user data unrecoverable?

Thanks
    Rod

It depends on how the "factory restore" is done, and the recovery techniques attemted.

What type of drive do you have - SSD or standard magnetic hard drive?

What are your plans for the drive afterwards?

It depends on how the "factory restore" is done, and the recovery techniques attempted. this was do not save user data

What type of drive do you have - SSD or standard magnetic hard drive? Lets call this, crappy magnetic hard drive. I was going to run Killdisk 3-pass on it. But when it said it would take 286 days to finish on an 320 GB drive and growing by the minute. I shut it down at 14%. Killdisk did destroy just the C drive partition. I'm trying to run the restore just to see if I can. I talked to my sister (It was her's) she said just pull the hd's and physically destroy them.

What are your plans for the drive afterwards? She was going to donate the laptop.
    Last edited by Rodney M; December 26th, 2019 at 10:27 AM.

KillDisk or Eraser should not take 286 days to finish on a 320 GB drive. I would run one of those. It should finish in a few hours and should be enough to destroy any personal data.

I did end up pulling the hard drives out and running killdisk from a usb adapter on my desktop. Took about 7 hours to run. Then one of the two drive went belly up.

If one of the drives was failing, that would explain the KillDisk time issue on it.

Thread Information