Retaining Windows 7 ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retaining Windows 7 ?

Retaining Windows 7 ?

I have one PC with Windows 7 that I want to hang on to. However, over the years, it has become quite slow. It presently has 2 hard drives, primary & secondary both 1TB.
    I am planning on replacing the primary with a perhaps 500gb SATA SSD. My question would be: When I reinstall my Windows disk onto the new drive, should I go ahead &
    get all of the available updates before Microsoft shuts them down or should I leave well enough alone? I would guess that Microsoft's latest updates might have something
    in them that would encourage ppl to switch to 10 rather than help prolong the life of 7.?? I would appreciate any comments on this subject including switching to an SSD drive.
    Thank you much & HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!
    Where there's a will, there's a way

If your Windows 7 install media does not already include SP1, you should download and save the .iso file for that.

There is 1 current "update" that will nag you about "upgrading" to Windows 10, but that can be disabled easily.

Microsoft is not likely to remove the updates for Windows 7 any time soon, as it will continue to receive another 3 years of paid support.

A clean re-install will likely result in at least some increase in speed.

Check to see how much memory that system has. It should have 4 GB if it is using the 32-bit Windows 7, and at least 8 GB if it is using 64-bit Windows 7.

You should make sure that you have all necessary Windows 7 drivers for that system downloaded and saved before re-installing.

When you have completed the re-install, you should make an image backup. Make another (separate) image backup after you have finished installing all application software needed.

Thanks jdc2000; According to the latest scuddlebutt, Microsoft is applying the brakes sometime in January. However, with numerous hospitals & Dr. offices, using win 7 to date, I don't see how they can justify it.
    It sort of similar to when they stopped supporting Win XP. With numerous ATM machines worldwide, they had to continue supporting them but without the public's knowledge. The patch did leak to the public & those that
    got a hold of the patch got updates & I believe that was supposed to end in 2019. Thanks again...........

The last free security updates will be the January 2020 patch Tuesday. Paid updates, if you can figure out how to get them, will be available for another 3 years.

Possibly useful links:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/bypass...n-all-systems/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/so-you...ll-businesses/

Microsoft has been quite unclear and almost evasive about who and how to get extended ESU updates. It now appears that those who have Win 7 Ultimate will be able to purchase them as opposed to just Win 7 Pro and those with corporate/enterprise licenses.

https://www.askwoody.com/2019/micros...ltimate-users/

We have been communicating ESU since last May with constant blogs, announcements at events, tweets, etc. The media has been reporting on them as well; I apologize if it seems last minute. The EOL date of Windows 7 was announced long before the ESU announcements, so even without ESU the EOL of Windows 7 has been looming. That said, Microsoft announced ESU in early 2019 and have been making changes to the program as necessary ever since. One change was allowing for CSP which was not in the original plans. This is why this was announced in October – it was an add-on program based on customer request;
    Most of us at Microsoft, and specifically in the ESU PG, are not at home over the holidays, we are still working to provide ESU for the customers that need it. As I mentioned in the above point, we only announced CSP recently, and have CSP partners ready to help;
    ESU is available for Windows 7 Ultimate edition, and has been since ESU was first being sold. We may have failed in that communication, and I apologize for that. Most of our enterprise customers aren’t using Ultimate edition, so we didn’t have Ultimate documented. Once we started selling ESU via CSP channel, the CSP partners were made aware of which versions are eligible for ESU.
    More:

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topi...e-got-answers/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-for-windows-7

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Also, I tried the bypass tool in the ZDnet article in jdc2000's post above and it does work but there's no guarantee it will continue to do so in January.

As the crew at Deskmdoder pointed out over the weekend, Microsoft is very likely to change this check to account for the new BypassESU tool.

You could also try using Autopatcher to download the updates.

http://www.autopatcher.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Regarding my original post: Does anyone know where I might find the drivers for a: HP Pavilion HPE-h8-1000z ?
    I cannot seem to find the correct web site. Thanks much.. Happy Holidays..........

Got it ! Thanks for the website.....

Users "have bypassed Windows OS installation key checks?" I'm shocked, just shocked. And we don't discuss such things at this forum. (Of course I do discuss it at My Digital Life.)

But, I don't know if we're better off getting the updates rather than skipping them, after seeing what M$ did to Win10. I know people who stopped updating their Win7 3 years ago and are perfectly happy.
    Last edited by foxy; January 8th, 2020 at 02:24 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

10 is a nightmare, I hear from users on my 4 forum sites. And I'm not concerned about the lack of security updates on 7. I ran XP for 4 years on the web, without any problems. Your best defense against unremovable malware is an image. I do images of all my desktop machines.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    You could also try using Autopatcher to download the updates.

http://www.autopatcher.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
    I'd like to hear from anyone who tries Autopatcher. It won't install on my machine. And the page that it was on is now blank.
    Last edited by foxy; January 19th, 2020 at 03:08 AM.

Hmm. I'm getting an error too. I'm not sure which page you are talking about, but the forum is still there. Doesn't look like they have been updating it lately.
    http://www.autopatcher.net/forum/

Another one you can try is WSUS Offline.
    https://www.techrepublic.com/article...s-and-servers/

When I click that original autopatcher link it downloads the actual program in a zip file. Check your downloads folder.

Thread Information