Best Clone/Backup Software ~$50 - Need Advise!

Thread: Best Clone/Backup Software ~$50 - Need Advise!

Best Clone/Backup Software ~$50 - Need Advise!

I'm looking for software that will start by cloning my Hard Drive, then from then on do on-going or periodic Back Up updates. Looking in the range of about US$50.

I recently had a hard drive crash and even though I had a USB Hard Drive, I hadn't been backing up because I couldn't find any decent Backup Software. There is a SLIM chance that they can recover data from the Drive but I'm not holding out much hope.

I bought a WD Black 1tb, and am re-installing Windows now.

Lesson learned - I need decent back up software.

Second best, though not preferred, would be just back up software. But If I can get a Drive Clone which will then back up periodically, that is my first choice.

Does anyone have any ideas?

An Idiot and his Data are soon parted.

Steve/boyblue

Just so we are clear, I am a single home user of a PC (Dell 3650, I5-6400, Win 10). I don't need an enterprise or business grade back up software.

Steve/boyblue

To clarify, CLONING is copying a hard drive to another drive. I think you mean IMAGING, which is copying a hard drive to a backup file. Acronis True Image can do both.

WD has free version of Acronis TI:
    https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119
    https://dellwindowsreinstallationgui...dition-basics/

I had spotted Acronis, and I think it might be on sale right now. 30% off.

Just one problem, it seems to come in Sizes. That is, for the default, you get 1 Computer and 256Gb of back up. But I'm not sure if that refers to my hard drive or to an included Cloud Drive.

At $34.99 with 256Gb, that's as much as I will ever need. I would never come close to filling a 1Tb drive. For an additional $14 I can get 500Gb, which still keeps me under my $50 limit.

The DELL Free Version of Acronis seems to require a 1GB USB Flash Driver. No indication of installing it on your computer, though perhaps the 1GB is just for a back up or emergency start if you have an AD Failure.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll download the paid version of ACRONIS.

The 256 GB refers to cloud storage, which I don't use. There is no limit on local storage.

The flash drive is used to boot the computer in case you need to restore the backup image. You can also create images using the boot flash drive. All versions of Acronis TI would require a boot flash drive or DVD in order to restore backup images to a new hard disk.

As jdc2000 stated, the 256GB is for Cloud storage. It would take a while to upload your backup image file, so I'd definitely go with local storage. Restoring from local storage would be much faster also. You could upload an image periodically for an off-site backup.

Thanks for the Replies. That clears up the confusion over 256gb of Storage. I'm not sure I can do better for about $35.

Before I jump in though, I want to see if Tech Services (MicroCenter) can salvage any data on my existing hard drive. A lot of data that I REALLY should have backed up ... but didn't. Years of casual research, hundreds of links, spreadsheets, hundreds of photos, all ....potentially lost.... I could blame fate or the world, but it is really down to me thinking nothing would ever happen to me. Again ... a Fool and his Data are soon parted.

When and If they can recover Data from my HD, they will store it on a USB Drive, that plus the USB Drive that I've had for 3 yrs simply gathering dust should hold me in fine stead.

Thanks for the help. But I think for $35, the best choice is ACRONIS.

Steve/Boyblue

Of course after the 1st Year ($35), Acronis is $50'yr to keep up the subscription. But my previous HD lasted 3 yrs and it is going to cost me $150 to recover the data, assuming it can actually be recovered.

Just passing that along for the benefit of others who might be looking for Back Up Software.

Steve/boyblue

Are you going to use the cloud storage or not? If not, just get the one-time purchase version.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/63262

You know, all the data could be there, I had this happen once. I was able to make a image of the hard drive, then mount the image and get my data.
    It worked once and didn't once.

The Free Macrium. I've been using it for years.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information