Imaging software

Thread: Imaging software

Imaging software

What ho one and all,

For as many years as I can recall, I have used Acronis True Image to do what it says on the box for my XP system. It has never let me down with a basic boot disk. ( And incidently, I have not had any 'security' issues in years with what would be considered today, a very insecure system!)

I also have a W7 computer that we use to watch DVD and internet TV. Recently installed AOMEI Backupper and intend to create a rescue disk and image. Recently read that I (may be able, may not be able?) can upgrade to W10 so considering giving that a try. But before doing so, I will create the image and rescue disk.

However, AOMEI give me the option of a Linux or WindowsPE rescue disk. What I don't understand, is what does W-PE do? Sure, there are a bunch of tools to do what? And when I have done whatever, with W-PE, more importantly, how do I get to the image to re-install it?

Basically, if I have a corrupted OS, why would I try to clean it rather than use the image to restore to a good OS?

Thanks, toodle pip and Merry Christmas.

Rex
    Last edited by Rekusu; December 15th, 2019 at 09:03 AM.

Google-> WindowsPE rescue disk and learn.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Windows PE (or Windows Preinstallation Environment) is a scaled-down version of Windows.
    https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/what...e-rescue-disk/

Personally, although rescue disks can be handy, I rely mostly on Acronis True Image to fix almost all new significant problems with my computer. I make a new incremental backup every two weeks so if I have to go back it's still a recent version. These days the main reasons for needing to do so are Windows own updates which can cause havoc after install or new browser updates that cause them to not work as well as intended.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for the replies. I have been reading various Google articles and frankly, don't feel I have a grasp of the benefits of a Rescue Disk.

So think I will do what I have always done, and as Fink suggests, just make an image and if necessary, restore the entire OS partition.

Merry Christmas

Am attempting to make an image with Macrium Reflect but having no luck. Removed, reinstalled, set VSS to auto, unchecked the very small Sys Vol before C:/ (what is it for?) but every time, get this message.

Attachment 15255

What does it mean and how do I resolve it?

Thanks, toodle pip and Merry Christmas

unchecked the very small Sys Vol before C:/ (what is it for?)
    I'm guessing you mean the System Reserved partition. You need to include that with the image. It contains the Windows boot files. You'd need to do that with Acronis TI also.

There are free versions of Acronis TI if you have a WD or Seagate drive.
    https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119
    https://www.seagate.com/support/down...00dd04090aRCRD

Thanks for the links. Wish I could say they have offered a solution, but no. MR Fix Tool / W& Disk Cleanup / and all other options still give a VSS error when trying to image C: With or without SysRes on or off.

If making an image with MR is this dodge, then I think i will dump it. As a back-up, I have just tried with AMOEI Backupper and absolutely no problems. Also made a Linux restore disk.

Regarding MR, i did read that start with the MR created disk and from there, creating an image usually works. Just for my own satisfaction of not letting technology beat me, I may try that.

Thread Information