Only works when data is on

Thread: Only works when data is on

Hybrid View

Only works when data is on

I was setting up wifi for someone else and I discovered that my phone could only receive email and get on the web if data was turned on. It wouldn't work with wifi on.

People don't usually want to use data when wifi is available because they might be charged. Why no response with wifi?

Thanks - rev

What phone make and model are you using? Have you tried WiFi access at other locations?

Mine is an LG P5046A but the same thing happened with another LG phone, I don't know the model. Both the phones used are fine with WiFi at other locations.

OK, so it is the WiFi at one specific location. I assume that the WiFi works on computers or other devices at the location where it does not work on the phones.

Can we assume that the WiFi connection procedure appeared to complete successfully on those phones?

Possibly useful links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDhAWrpaf0A
    https://www.lg.com/uk/support/produc...-network-setup
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRfvtI8gfI

>OK, so it is the WiFi at one specific location.
    Yes

>works on computers or other devices at the location
    Unknown because all we had at the time were two phones.

>Can we assume that the WiFi connection procedure appeared to complete successfully on those phones?
    Neither phone gave any error message when trying to use WiFi, so no reason to think it didn't complete successfully.

I read somewhere that changing the IP setting in the modem from Static to DHCP has fixed the problem for some people but I'm not sure what the current setting is.

Unknown because all we had at the time were two phones.
    So we don't know if it would work for any device at this point.

Neither phone gave any error message when trying to use WiFi, so no reason to think it didn't complete successfully.
    No reason to think it was successful either.

At this point, a computer or laptop with a wired connection to the modem/router would allow you to access the setup interface to see what the settings are. That would give you the required info to access the WiFi. Note: Most modem/router hardware defaults to DHCP, so it is unlikely that it is set to not be the DHCP server now.

Thread Information