This is for my brother/firefox problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is for my brother/firefox problem

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back

This is for my brother/firefox problem

He's having a problem with Firefox not letting graphics show in color. He says Windows 10, Edge is fine. He said this started after he installed Windows 10.

Installation was as I post in mod forum, so we know he has two operating systems running on that computer. I told him I had no idea what's going on because I have yet to install Windows 10 to my computer.

My first suggestion was he's got a conflict with the two systems, next I thought Windows 10 changed his graphics driver to their own driver. Next an update could have caused this, he says he can't find the entries for updates.

His Firefox is the latest version.

If you can understand what I wrote above, please give me something I can help him with to fix this problem.

Dell Optiplex 670, I think. And it's not showing photos on pages even in Edge.

The "no color" issue would not likely be a Firefox problem. More likely it is a video driver problem. One test would be to try Internet Explorer and make sure that the Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab setting (first one) is set to "Use software rendering".

Unfortunately, there are no Windows 10 drivers from Dell for the OptiPlex 760, so the onboard video could be a problem. If you added a video card that has Windows 10 support, that could be a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    The "no color" issue would not likely be a Firefox problem. More likely it is a video driver problem. One test would be to try Internet Explorer and make sure that the Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab setting (first one) is set to "Use software rendering".

Unfortunately, there are no Windows 10 drivers from Dell for the OptiPlex 760, so the onboard video could be a problem. If you added a video card that has Windows 10 support, that could be a solution.
    I thought so, the video driver and/or video card going out. It's an older computer he bought off Ebay.

Where on Windows 10 would I find Internet options?

Computer has a standalone Nvidia card inside. I told him to go to Nvidia and let it scan his computer and they will suggest the driver he needs.

And thanks!

In Windows 10, there is no desktop shortcut or menu option for Internet Explorer until you create one.

Link on how to access Internet Explorer on Windows 10.

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10...indows-10.html

Once you have Internet Explorer open, click Tools (or the gear icon) and select Internet Options, then click on the Advanced tab. The setting is the first one on the list.

If he can get a video driver for the NVidia card, that might fix the issue.

Btw, he said his Windows 10 download wouldn't let him do a clean install. I think this was PEKAC error. He didn't know what he was doing.

If he can boot both Windows 10 and 7, then I would think that would have been a clean install. If all of his previous software that he had installed was still present and working on the Windows 10 system, that would have been an "upgrade" install. If he was actually able to do an upgrade install and still boot Windows 7, it would be most interesting to know how he did that.

He can't boot to Windows 7. And he tried reverting back to Windows 7 but couldn't.

I know that the software he had Windows 7 is still there. What I meant was he said he couldn't do a clean install with the software he got from Microsoft. The ones I downloaded let me do a clean install, I had done this for my niece and know it works. I just don't think he knows how to do a clean install. I reinstalled Windows 7 for him a few months ago, this was before he decided to go with Windows 10. Basically, I had to do the reinstall of 7 because he didn't know how to do a clean install of that OS either.

Okay, he got a driver from Nvidia but he says it didn't change anything.

Then I told him to type in search, Internet and it would bring up IE. instead he searched the internet instead of his computer and tried to download IE. Tomorrow I will explain to him he was supposed to search his computer, not the internet.

With him, I have to be explicit what I want him to do or he doesn't understand what I tell him to do.

He also said he doesn't get an option on reboot, to chose an older operating system. So, he can't get into Windows 7.

A screen capture illustrating the problem(s) as well as one of his Device Manager with the Video Adapter section expanded might be useful, so we can see the exact issue and what Windows is using for a video driver.

A screen capture illustrating the problem(s) as well as one of his Device Manager with the Video Adapter section expanded might be useful, so we can see the exact issue and what Windows is using for a video driver.
    Where is device manager in Windows 10? I don't have this OS on my computer yet, so I don't know my way around in there.

And I had another thought too. Talk him into letting me clean install from the disk I have to get rid of Windows 7. Course then I'd have to use the link I got to make it look like Windows 7 and I'm not sure I want to go to all that trouble for free.

He has agreed to let me install a clean install with my disk. I can't do it today, I'll have to wait until my hands stop shaking.

How to access Device Manager in Windows 10:

A clean install would definitely be a good start. I have installed Windows 10 on a Dell Mini 9 netbook that originally had Windows XP, and it works fine. I think that his OptiPlex 760 (or 620 - there never was an OptiPlex 670), with an nVidia video card, you should be able to get drivers installed that allow everything to work.

How to access Device Manager in Windows 10:

A clean install would definitely be a good start. I have installed Windows 10 on a Dell Mini 9 netbook that originally had Windows XP, and it works fine. I think that his OptiPlex 760 (or 620 - there never was an OptiPlex 670), with an nVidia video card, you should be able to get drivers installed that allow everything to work.
    I thought I transposed the first two numbers after I typed in 670. Should have been 760.

Well, after all this typing and getting questions answered, he's decided if I just do a clean install of Windows 10 without adding the make it look and work like Windows 7 is good enough as long as Windows 10 works.

Sometimes I feel like I'm back peddling with him. LOL

Thread Information