HP Latop always running

Thread: HP Latop always running

HP Latop always running

Lately my HP 17" laptop model #1008ca after waking up or sitting for a awhile the hard-drive or maybe the fan is running..
    its a humming sound that usually occurs when the windows 10 is doing backups or programs running .. but nothing is on.. just my wireless and virus checker from windows 10 security .

HP support was useless wanted me to 'up my warranty' and then send it for repairs .. its only 8 weeks old .. this model is the $800 model not the $249 or 499 model ..

any ideas for troubleshooting ?
    Windows 10 Home 64 Intel® Core™ i5-8265U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    17.3" diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1600 x 900) 256 GB - 5400 rpm SATA
    Windows 10 //21H1 (OS Build 19044..2251) 64bit //Google Chrome 118.0.5993.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)/ 16GB Memory/ AMD Radeon HD 7700 series Video Card//N68C-GS FX2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core /[/B]

It is Windows 10, so, check Task Manager to see what is actually running at the time. Windows may be "updating" something. Make sure to show Tasks from All Users in Task Manager. Once you have an idea as to what is using CPU cycles, that may help with ideas on how to stop that activity, assuming stopping it would be a good idea.

Of course, even with a new computer, a scan with your antivirus/antimalware software could not hurt. A Malwarebytes scan may also be useful, if for nothing more than confirming that no malware was found.

A new laptop should not have accumulated enough dust to cause fan issues, however, you could check the system temperatures just in case. The BIOS or something like SpeedFan might be helpful. Also, make sure that no ventilation ports are blocked or covered up.

If there is a hard drive activity LED or indicator, see if that is on most or all of the time.

Thread Information