HP Pavilion dv9005ca laptop.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Pavilion dv9005ca laptop.

HP Pavilion dv9005ca laptop.

How are you? HP Pavilion dv9005ca laptop, custom Win 7, after update...black screen and shutdown (repeat boot cycle). I have tried all the usual repairs...removed RAM, replaced...removed vid card...tried DVD repair disc...tried all FN keys during boot. It reboots after 30 seconds, but does seem to respond to DEL key, but with a black screen, there is no way to see the options; same for BIOS, even if it does enter that mode or safe mode, with black screen, there is no way to access the options. Any ideas? Thank you.

Can you boot to a Live Linux disc or the UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD)?

Thanks for the reply. I tried my ubcd, and the same as all other CD's, it starts to read it, but has the black screen and quickly reboots, then the boot lock cycle continues. Anything else I can try?

If you can get into the BIOS, you could try resetting it to factory defaults and saving changes. If that does not work, I would say you have a hardware issue.

I was thinking that too, but with a black screen it makes it difficult. If I can find the key sequences in order, it might work.

If you get a black screen before you can get into the BIOS, you also have a hardware issue. The only other thing you could try is disconnecting ALL drives before powering on.

I removed the RAM again and the HD. I also tried an external monitor. No change, but if I tap the Esc key or the F10 key on start-up the laptop stays on and I assume goes to the two menus, no shutting off or re-booting. Any way to navigate the menus?

I assume goes to the two menus
    Do the menus actually appear on the screen?

If yes, does the keyboard (arrow keys, other keys) allow selecting items?

What do the menus say - what selections do they show?

Nothing shows, screen is black always. If I let the computer load on it's own, it restarts every time after 20-30 seconds (boot lock), but if I do tap the ESC or F10 key at start-up it will stay on completely...as long as I want, until I power it off. This is why I assume it is going to the menus (black screen, no text). This happened exactly after a long update, no problems before...that is why I don't think it is a hardware issue. Thanks for any advice.

Does the screen ever show anything (boot logo, text, etc.)?

What happens if you connect an external monitor?

Never any text, anything, just black...and the constant reboot with that same black screen, UNLESS I tap ESC or F10 during start-up, then it will stay fully active without the auto reboot. Never anything but the black screen. Once again, this problem began just after a Win7 UPDATE. THIS IS WHY I THINK THE HARDWARE IS OK. I appreciate the advice.

**ADDITIONAL TO LAST MESSAGE...TESTED WITH EXTERNAL MONITOR, NO CHANGE. LINUX LIVE DISC SEEMS TO LOAD, AND WILL SOMETIMES KEEP THE LAPTOP ACTIVE, WITHOUT IT AUTO REBOOTING, BUT STILL BLACK SCREEN. THERE IS NO WAY TO NAVIGATE A MENU. THANKS.

If you have a black screen, and the external monitor shows nothing, then you have some bad hardware. If it is under warranty, it is time for a warranty call.

I'll continue to work on it, and let you know when I find the issue. If you can think of anything else I can try, please leave a message. For now, I am adding a new thread in a different category about a MICRO SD card. I would also appreciate advice on that. Thanks again.

An external monitor should be able to mirror the built-in display panel. On the off chance that it doesn't, it could also be a bad backlight on the internal display. This would not explain the rebooting however. That would be a separate hardware issue.

Thread Information