Factory Reset, Can't Access Internet

Thread: Factory Reset, Can't Access Internet

Factory Reset, Can't Access Internet

I have an old netbook running win XP that I haven't used in a while. I wanted to get it ready to sell. Hardware is fine, internet was ok, no problems. It is an Acer One with the built-in restore partition. So I did a full restore and re-install and the only thing not working is the wireless internet. It can locate my router and connect, but not go online. So I used the windows network diagnostic and it said there is likely a firewall problem as it cannot connect using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443), and FTP port (21).

My windows firewall was turned off. I turned it on and created exceptions for those ports but it still doesn't work. When I click on the wireless connection status, it says connected, 54mbps speed, so it appears to be connected but IE browser cannot connect to any sites.

How can I fix this?
    Bruce
    Intel i7-4770
    Gigabyte B85M-D3H board
    GEForce 640GT 2gb video card
    Kingston Hyper-X 8gb DDR RAM
    500gb Seagate HD/125gb Samsung SSD system drive

Post the exact model number.

Does it have an ethernet port? Did you try that?

What encryption type are you using on the router? It's possible that the laptop doesn't properly support newer encryption like WPA2 AES

It is the Aspire One model ZG-5. But it worked all up until I did the full restore yesterday. Same router. I'm wondering if the browser version of Internet Explorer that it came with is just too old and cannot display web pages. I was using a different browser before, which of course is no longer installed. IE that is factory installed is version 7.0.5730
    Bruce
    Intel i7-4770
    Gigabyte B85M-D3H board

Even IE8 support dropped a long time ago. Most other browsers dropped XP support a while ago too. The last Firefox to support XP was 52 ESR.
    https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/...r/win32/en-US/

Is it at least SP3?

Yes. I think I'm going to have to try installing the latest Firefox..I can copy the setup file from my computer on a thumb drive and transfer it that way, since I can't get to the download site on the netbook.
    Bruce
    Intel i7-4770
    Gigabyte B85M-D3H board

You could also try the portable version of firefox on the thumb drive to avoid having to install it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/por...ortable%20Ed./

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

You can't install the latest FF on XP. FF52ESR was the last version to support XP. FF52ESR Portable would also work, as fink mentioned.

How old is that version FF52ESR? I could swear that I had a fairly recent Firefox browser on it before I did the wipe. Maybe less than a year old. I didn't update it all the time because I didn't use it that much.

So since I was able to bring up Google, I downloaded Chrome and that works. Although it says there will be no more Chrome updates, its fully functional. The internet connection is fine, because this morning there were 120 Windows updates waiting! So as long as I have a browser and can show that it is fully functional I think that's all it needs. I'm going to try and sell the unit so someone else may want to swap hard drives & O/S or use it for some other purpose.
    Bruce
    Intel i7-4770
    Gigabyte B85M-D3H board

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/
    Version 52.9.0, first offered to ESR channel users on June 26, 2018
    The last version of Chrome to support XP was 49 in 2016. It's way older than FF52ESR.

Hmmm....that version of FF might be the one I had. But the version of Chrome that installed today is listed as 49.0.2623.112 I just checked the "about" tab.
    Bruce
    Intel i7-4770
    Gigabyte B85M-D3H board

For comparison, the current version of Chrome is 78.

Thread Information