RAM not recognized

Thread: RAM not recognized

RAM not recognized

I cleaned the heatsink on my Asus P6T and put it back. When I started the machine only 2 of my 8 RAM sticks were recognized.

The probability that 6 sticks went bad at the same time I cleaned the heatsink is astronomical and tantamount to impossible!

I switched the sticks around, cleaned the pins, blew compressed air into the DIMMs - 4 were recognized. I kept switching until 6 were recognized but I can't get the machine to see the last two. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks - rev

If you switch the DIMMs around and they are recognized in different slots, then it is likely a slot issue. Quadruple check the slots where memory is not being recognized (likely the last 2) to make sure that there are no bent contacts or foreign debris in the slots. Use a high-power light so you can see every little thing. When re-installing the DIMMs, make sure that the contacts go all the way into the slots. If all else fails, make sure that the BIOS settings have not changed.

At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Try cleaning the contacts on the ram with a pencil eraser, cleaning the debris off with a brush or canned air. I've found this method to work sometimes, more times worked than anything else I tried.
    New 8 core
    AMD FX 8350 4Ghz; Gskill 16GB Memory; Kingston 240GB SSD; WD 1TB SATA; Geforce 710 GT 2GB Vid card; Windows 7 Professional 64 bit; HP 25" LED/LCD IPS monitor

Built by Me, in 2018!!

UBCD How to Burn an ISO Image to a Disc
    My photos

jdc
    Ah the BIOS! That is a possibility because after a couple of power outages I was prompted to restore BIOS options.

PhotoLady
    That's exactly what I did, the eraser is an old trick that works well, I did the light and compressed air but my problem with all those methods is that all sticks were happy and working before. So I've been baffled and looking for something else that's changed. jdc might have hit on it.

I just took a look. I have American Megatrends v2.61 (the latest) and RAM is only mentioned 3 times in the whole BIOS.

DRAM core voltage
    DRAM timing control, and
    DRAM frequency

They're all set to Auto. Could there be something I need to change under a different heading?

Under System Information, Usable Memory Size is listed as 8183 MB. But that screen is only an info screen, it can't be edited.

Where do you change that figure?

You don't, but if it is showing that number, it appears to be seeing 8 GB. The only thing that you might change would be the other 3 items. Check the specs for the RAM you are using to see what you could change those to if needed. Also, try running MemTest from the UBCD5 (Ultimate Boot CD) to see what it says about your memory.

Thread Information