Please explain VPN's

Thread: Please explain VPN's

Please explain VPN's

I'm very security-conscious and privacy-conscious, thinking of getting a VPN.
    They have limits on data. How do I know how many GB of data I need? I don't do any streaming but I do occasionally play a 1-hour video on Youtube.

How is it different from a proxy?

Will it interfere with my network? I have 3 machines networked, no mobile devices.

Do I install it separately on each machine?

Reading reviews. Recommendations for a free one?
    Last edited by foxy; October 21st, 2019 at 10:05 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

There are NO recommended "free" VPNs. VPNs cost money to set up and run. That money has to come from somewhere, and trying to guess where it is coming from usually leads back to you and your data.

I'll post some links tomorrow with info to answer the rest of your questions.

Here is a link to an article that should answer your questions. Note: The article contains quite a few links to other articles that cover specific topics or questions, so you may want to check out those as well.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/vpn-se...-the-internet/

Its just 3 desktop computers, no mobile devices. I don't want to be connected when I leave the house.

After reading the articles, I don't think it's worth my bother. (Really surprised that Zdnet didn't recommend one of their advertisers. But they did refer us to Cnet ) I already have some security on my browser, my internet's too slow already, and my LAN is already quirky.

But thanks to you all :-)
    Last edited by foxy; October 24th, 2019 at 12:26 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information