Windows Defender Offline Scan won't run

Thread: Windows Defender Offline Scan won't run

Windows Defender Offline Scan won't run

Hi hope everyone is doing well.

Upon using Chrome one day, a random website opened up on another tab. I didn't open it. This happened few times in one day. The same website every time with maybe different variations. Nothing bad, just travel/recipes. Next day same thing. I suspected Malware. So I did Windows Defender quick and full scan that came up clean. I did Malware-bytes free scan and that came up clean as well. I decided to install Chrome block extension to block that particular website. That works but that's only a temporary solution. I'd like to get bottom of it.

I'm trying to do an offline Windows Defender scan but it's not working. I clicked "scan" and it's supposed to shut down, scan, then reboot. But all it does is shut down that's it.

Today I'm using Firefox and I haven't seen that random website pop up yet. Granted, it's only been few hours so I'll see.

Using Window 10 and it is updated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows updates are causing problems again.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...-quot-fix-quot

Over the last few months other a/v programs have also been temporarily affected.. Avast, Symantec/Norton, Bit Defender. VERY annoying.

You may want to start a new topic in our intensive care forum for a complete checkup. Scan rules are at the top of the forum.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/for...sive-Care-Unit

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks! I'll look into it. I've tried the custom scan as well. All my Windows Defender's scans work fine. Quick, full and custom. It's the offline one that doesn't scan.

Spent all morning on Firefox incognito and no random website has opened up. I should try this in Chrome incognito.

I went to that thread where the user reported Unwanted popups in Google Chrome started by Brian. Sounded like my issue. I was going to reply to that thread but it said I did not have permission to do so.

Just wanted to note that I think I got to the bottom of it. Narrowed it down to Chrome Extensions. I turned them off and no unwanted popups in Chrome. I have about 8 extensions so one of them has adware/malware. I've had them all for awhile so this infection was recent. Today I am going to turn one on at a time and see which one it is and then remove it.

For some reason Malwarebytes and Windows Defender wasn't able to pick it up.

I haven't checked to see if the Windows Defender offline scan works now after I googled a fix using CMD prompt.
    Last edited by Katsby; October 20th, 2019 at 02:35 PM.

Today I am going to turn one on at a time and see which one it is and then remove it

I would do that too. Google might be a help to see if others have the same problem with any of your extensions.

Our intensive care forum only allows one user to post in a thread to avoid crossover issues and confusion. Feel free to start a new thread any time.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I did google this and nothing came up. Someone predicted that it had to be an extension that has small amount of users and he was right. Turns out it was the Remind Me extension. I used it to remind me of appointments etc. Suddenly it just became infected. That extension doesn't have permissions at all so it didn't harm my data/computer. Just annoying random website that opens up on another tab.

My issue is resolved!

I reported it to the Chrome store extensions so hopefully they'll remove it or take care of it. I tried leaving reviews in the Chrome store but the minute I removed it, I was unable to leave reviews. Don't feel like adding it again just to leave reviews. I just want to stay away from it.

Thanks for your replies and help.

I also like scanning with this Monthly updated scanner from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/down...l-details.aspx
    My Web Site - 1970 Z28 Camaro
    Retired from 35 yrs IT Hardware Planning Analyst
    Cheers
    Mark

Thread Information