"Intel" RAM? Going over 2133 MHz on AMD?

Thread: "Intel" RAM? Going over 2133 MHz on AMD?

Question "Intel" RAM? Going over 2133 MHz on AMD?

I was confused when I was shopping for RAM and I saw modules listed as "for Intel". From my understanding, there is no such thing as RAM specifically designed for a specific CPU, modern RAM is RAM, it should work across Intel and AMD.

And from what I understand, I am right.... mostly. The RAM itself is not CPU-specific and will run just fine.... however, that's up to the standard maximum DDR4 speed of 2133MHz, which is what things like XMP profiles are for.

However.... seems that XMP profiles ARE actually an Intel patent, and AMD created an equivalent called AMP. Originally this wasn't an issue as I was planning an Intel build anyway, however, how now I am also looking at an AMD equivalent of the build and that can raise some concerns .

THAT is what I am not sure about, if you can use XMP profiles with an AMD CPU, or if you need RAM that includes and AMP profile..... or if this even varies by the motherboard. I tried Googling using the RAM I choose with AMD, as well as using XMP on the motherboard I am looking at.... and results are mixed. I see people having issues with it understanding the profiles or boot looping... but I also see people having issues with "AMD" ram itself and that the board's UEFI/Bios is apparently a little confusing to navigate in that regard. This board:

https://www.aorus.com/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10

Furthermore, the instruction manual is no help. It has a very small blurb about an XMP option only appearing if both the CPU and RAM support it, the screenshot of the config screen does not show this option appearing, and if XMP is an Intel-only thing then how could the AMD CPU support it, and why even mention that in the manual for an AMD board?

I DID find a version of the RAM listed as "For AMD"... issue is, that it's an RGB version as they don't seem to have a non-RGB version listed as "for AMD", so it costs more:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...20%2D232%2D413

To add further confusion, the specs page on G.Skill's own page for that "For AMD" RAM mentions "Intel XMP 2.0 (Extreme Memory Profile) Ready" and nothing about AMP.... despite "Ryzen" logos being plastered all over other places of the page for that model RAM......

Can anyone help clarify if XMP is something that AMD can handle just fine, if it's really motherboard-specific, or if I do need to get RAM that is "For AMD" to make sure it handles it's advertised speed of 3200 just fine instead of being stuck at 2133?
    "A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - William Faulkner

I would check the approved memory list for the motherboard to see what memory to use in order to avoid any issues.

Thread Information