[RESOLVED] Using Custom UA Strings

Thread: [RESOLVED] Using Custom UA Strings

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Using Custom UA Strings

I use Chrome just for work online, and because updates screw up my settings, I've stayed with v. 68, and I want a UA that says "Chrome 77" or another recent #

I've installed this:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hrome-ntp-icon

I also want my Waterfox UA to say "Firefox," as some sites don't accept Waterfox.

(can't get the images in the right order)

1--why do all the UA choices begin with "Mozilla?" Do they have to say "Apple WebKit" when I have Windows? WF wrong UA.jpg

2--I tried changing my Waterfox UA to Firefox, and after I set it up the way I wanted, it said this on another forum:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by foxy; October 1st, 2019 at 02:06 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Each selection lists the settings for various OSes and browsers. You want to make sure the one you select fits your OS and the Chrome version you want to use.

Windows NT 6.1; Win 64; x64 and Chrome 68.0.3440.106 are what you have selected for Chrome - that looks OK.

Why does it also say "Mozilla" "Apple webkit" and "Safari", none of which apply ? And I substituted v. 77 for 68, but it reverted back

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

error dupe
    Last edited by foxy; October 1st, 2019 at 02:46 PM.

You would need to select the line with the Chrome 77 in it instead of the Chrome 68 from your image.

The Mozilla, Apple WebKit, and Safari apply if you are using those browsers. Each line shows you what the UA setting will be for a variety of browsers. There isn't one exclusively for Windows 7 64 bit and Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    You would need to select the line with the Chrome 77 in it instead of the Chrome 68 from your image.

The Mozilla, Apple WebKit, and Safari apply if you are using those browsers. Each line shows you what the UA setting will be for a variety of browsers. There isn't one exclusively for Windows 7 64 bit and Chrome.
    I did choose 77, it switched back to 68, as viewed on mozillazine.org.

That doesn't explain why all 2.7 mill of them contain "Mozilla" and "Apple Webkit. Am I missing something here?
    https://developers.whatismybrowser.c..._name/chrome/1

Took the Chrome 77 one, went to whatismybrowser.com and it still sees my string as Chrome 68
    Last edited by foxy; October 1st, 2019 at 09:01 PM.

This is the UA I see on Chrome77 on Win7x64.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/77.0.3865.90 Safari/537.36

All the alternate entries are basically for compatibility. Browsers pretending to be other browsers. That's why you're trying to change it in the first place right? For more info:
    https://webaim.org/blog/user-agent-string-history/

Trying to make Chrome 68 look like a newer one. Got it.

The history is a hoot. Wasn't there something like that in Firefox years ago? Maybe an Easter egg?

more recently than that article:
    "And Opera was good, and there was great rejoicing in using it as a secondary browser, but Opera became a Chrome-lookalike after v. 15 (?), and there was a great roar of uninstalling throughout the land."
    Last edited by foxy; October 2nd, 2019 at 04:11 PM.

Thread Information