Computer randomly restarts - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer randomly restarts

I doubt it. It's more likely that Seatools doesn't like the hard drive controller in the enclosure. Another option would be to take the Seagate out of the enclosure and connect it to an internal SATA port.
    Oh, you are talking surgery now! Yikes.
    I have NO CLUE what that would mean and I suspect it will make my computer out of order for the time of that process, right? I might look into doing that on a "spare" computer we have. But i would need detailed instructions. (I will only be able to do that later today as i am leaving for a few hours).

At this point, I think you should focus on getting the data off of the "bad" drive.

Another idea would be to take the Seagate out of its current enclosure, and then put it into another one.

Another 4 hours later and still ZERO error with the "bad" drive disconnected.

I did install that CrystalDisk Info, and it showed that untested drive as being fine. I do have access to install it into another computer, as an internal drive. How would I do that? Guide me and I'll follow. If you feel it is needed.

For the "bad" drive, everything is already backed up so I just have to get another one and transfer. So that should be "taken care of".

I said that CrystalDiskInfo was for the SSD.

At this point, I think we've found the culprit. Leave the "bad" drive disconnected and hopefully it won't BSOD again.

If you really want to test the Seagate, I suggest you get a techie friend to help you locally.
    https://www.wikihow.com/Install-a-SATA-Drive

Bad news. It rebooted overnight, and NO EHD was connected. After I woke up this morning, I was hoping it was a normal Windows update but it wasn't. I checked Event Viewer and sure enough, there were a few errors including critical ones. This is what the errors say:

Error 2:57 am: The previous system shutdown at 2:53:06 AM on ‎9/‎29/‎2019 was unexpected. (strangely, there was NO error at or around 2:53)
    Critical: 2:56 (yes, it is listed AFTER the previous one): The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Error: 3:25 am: The previous system shutdown at 3:02:19 AM on ‎9/‎29/‎2019 was unexpected. (there was no error at or around 3:02)
    Critical: 3:24 am: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Error: 3:25 am: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000f4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa800b5a3b00, 0xfffffa800b5a3de0, 0xfffff80003bb1930). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 092919-41808-01.
    Error: 3:29 am: The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CE792E5A-B025-48E8-9CFF-55903EF956CE}. The backup browser is stopping.
    Critical: 5:59 am: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Error: 6:00 am: The previous system shutdown at 5:36:32 AM on ‎9/‎29/‎2019 was unexpected. (again, nothing listed around that time)
    Error: 6:00 am: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000f4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa800b5e0b00, 0xfffffa800b5e0de0, 0xfffff80003b67930). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 092919-44085-01.

This is the point when I got up and started the computer. After I found out it was an error and not a Windows update, I decided to open Outlook (so, nothing else was really open). The computer froze. Didn't respond to the mouse, to the keyboard. I thought it was just "waking up" and being slow but then, I got that BSOD within 5 minutes of having the computer open. This time, the errors read:

Error: 7:46 am: The previous system shutdown at 7:41:37 AM on ‎9/‎29/‎2019 was unexpected. (nothing listed at that time)
    Error: 7:46 am: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000f4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa800b01ab00, 0xfffffa800b01ade0, 0xfffff80003bb7930). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 092919-38922-01.
    Critical: 7:46: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

So, doesn't that bring us back to square one, since the suspected culprit (might have been accessories to the issue) couldn't be the cause of those errors?

And I thought it was solved
    Last edited by Cassel; September 29th, 2019 at 08:09 AM.

Chatting with my son (who knows a bit more than me about tech issues, although he is not a tech person per say), we looked at various information from the EventViewer and BlueScreenView, and noticed a few things:

- in the BlueScreenView, many will have one of these messages:
    "The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe"
    "The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Ntfs.sys"
    "The problem seems to be caused by the following file: partmgr.sys"
    and once
    "The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ACPI.sys"

- the Crash Address always shows: " ntoskrnl.exe+93ca0 " no matter what the problem was pointing to.

Does that mean anything?

Those Event Viewer errors don't really point to anything specific. You'd want to look at the events that happened just before the shutdown. Check the Application and System sections.

It would be better if you could at least post a screenshot of Bluescreenview again. Just the file names isn't enough.

Sure. Here are the last two.
    From the log of BlueScreenView, there were 2 shutdowns overnight, then one at 7:45 when I had just came to the computer, and another time, this afternoon.

BSOD7-45.jpg
    BSOD12-59.jpg

As far as the EventViewer information, I found no error in the Application logs that match what "just happened before". All the errors listed are after, which is why I was listing them above. The BSOD happened at 3:23, 5:58, 7:45 and 12:59.

For the 3:23 crash,
    there is no entry in the Application log between 3:01 and 3:25 (not even at the time of the BSOD)
    In the System log, there is no entry between 3:02 and 3:24.

For the 5:58 crash,
    In Application, nothing between 5:09 and 6:00
    In System, nothing between 5:28 and 5:59

For the 7:45 crash
    In the Application, nothing entered between 7:40 and 7:47
    In the System, nothing entered between 7:40 and 7:46

For the 12:59 crash, there are 3 entries related to Outlook, about one minute before:
    The store C:\Users\User_2\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlwordsisay61@gmail.com-00000015.pst is being reconciled with the indexer for the following reason: The store was last opened on a different machine.
    The store C:\Users\User_2\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlwordsisayapp@gmail.com-0000000e.pst is being reconciled with the indexer for the following reason: The store was last opened on a different machine.
    The store C:\Users\User_2\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlcassel61@gmail.com-00000014.pst is being reconciled with the indexer for the following reason: The store was last opened on a different machine.
    >>> looking closely, I see three emails that are gmail and integrated with my Outlook. Nothing about the direct emails.

In System, nothing between 12:53 and 1:01
    Last edited by Cassel; September 29th, 2019 at 03:52 PM.

BTW, 0x0000007a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR for partmgr.sys is the one that makes me suspect the HD.
    Hmm. Still getting the same error.

0x000000f4 critical_object_termination also seems like a drive or memory issue.

What is the exact model of SSD? Did you install the latest firmware?

You said that Memtest86+ passed, right?

What is the exact model of SSD?
    It is a Kingston

Did you install the latest firmware?
    I didn't install it myself so I can just assume the tech did it

You said that Memtest86+ passed, right?
    I'll have to go back through this thread. I did one Memory test but don't think it was Memtest86+. Can you point me to how to do that?

Kingston is the brand, not the model. Firmware is specific to the model. The Kingston SSD tool should tell you which firmware you have and if there is an update available.

Don't assume anything. If you didn't ask for it, the tech probably didn't do it.

If you didn't run Memtest86# from UBCD5, what memtest did you run?
    UBCD5 Guide post #3
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...oot-CD-5-Guide

Ok.. back to the notes, yes it was the Memtest86 that I did.
    Post #29
    Memory test is ok.
    Post #18
    Now, I also downloaded the Kingston SSD Manager. When I start it, what am I looking for? There is a Health overview and it shows that everything is fine. Is that all it takes to run a diagnostic test on it?
    Kingston is the brand, not the model. Firmware is specific to the model. The Kingston SSD tool should tell you which firmware you have and if there is an update available.
    The Kingston SSD tool says "No firmware update available".

Hmm. You could try running CHKDSK. There are other possible fixes like updating drivers on this link:
    https://www.minitool.com/data-recove...age-error.html

1. Restart Computer
    Already done (more than once!)

2. Fix Kernel Data Inpage Error with CHKDSK
    I get this:
    "The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"
    Do I need to restart the computer to complete that task?
    Or am I doing something wrong?

3. Run Memory Diagnostics Tool for a RAM Check
    I'll have to wait, since that needs a restart again. Is it supposed to take long? (just trying to do those test while I still have work to do on the computer)

4. Run Antivirus Scan to Fix Kernel Data Inpage Error
    I did Window Defender and Malwarebytes scan; came out clean.

5. Check System Log to Fix 0x0000007a Kernel Data Inpage Error
    It says "check if there are any error messages that may cause the Kernel Data Inpage Error." How do I check that? Or did I already do that when compiling those messages above?

6. Update Device Drivers
    All the drives were up-to-date.

7. Uninstall Incompatible Software
    I have removed any "new" software that had been installed (for testing purpose) in the last month

8. Run sfc /scannow to fix Kernel Data Inpage Error
    Doing it now. No idea how long it will take. - Done. Everything is fine.

9. Check Hardware and IDE/SATA Cable Connections
    I could disconnect the printer and see. All the EHD are currently disconnected.

10. Reboot Windows in Safe Mode
    If I do, I can't work on my computer. How long would it need to stay like that to "test" if that fixed the issue? In the past, although I have had 3 BSOD in one day, I also had 2 full days without any. I can't really leave the computer in Safe Mode for days.
    Last edited by Cassel; September 29th, 2019 at 08:17 PM.

9. Check Hardware and IDE/SATA Cable Connections
    I could disconnect the printer and see. All the EHD are currently disconnected.

I just realized that the printer is connected through Wi-fi so guess this point was already addressed as everything was already disconnected.

Thread Information