Computer randomly restarts
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer randomly restarts

Hybrid View

Computer randomly restarts

Hello again. It is always a problem that brings me back!

Since about a month, I have noticed my computer restarting on its own. Early on, I would find it restarted in the morning. I didn't think much of it since Windows would typically do updates overnight and sometimes, needed a restart.

Then, a couple of times, I noticed it happened during the day; I would go to work in the morning, and it was on, but when I came back in the afternoon, it was restarted. That made me think that it would be unlikely to be Windows updates.

That could happen 2 or 3 times a week, but occasionally, it would happen twice in a day.

Over the weekend, it happened (for the first time), while I was at the computer (using Word).
    I saw a blue screen with a bunch of messages (I took a picture but I can't seem to be able to attach it).
    Then, it restarted, went to that grey screen asking if I wanted to start in normal mode or what.
    I chose to start in Normal mode and everything was fine, until the next restart (which might have been the next day or so).

I checked back a month or so, to see what program I might have installed and found a few small programs I had installed to test for a document. They were no longer needed so I deleted them. It has not solved the problem.

One thing I notice is that when I load Outlook, after such an unexpected restart, I would typically get a message about the data and it would take X number of minutes (often between 5 and 8 minutes), then it would start normally.

I am using Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1.
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz
    8.0 GB RAM

I am worried something is definitely going wrong and I would like to know if there is a way to identify (or narrow down) to the possible cause of this.

Thanks.

You may be able to use BlueScreenView to see what caused the blue screen crashes.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

I would also run a Malwarebytes scan just to check for any potential issues there.

Thanks. Will do that scan now and check the BlueScreenView after and will let you know what comes up.

The Malware scan turned out nothing wrong on that level.

I downloaded the BlueScreenView, and ran it. I have NO CLUE what the result means. Would you know how to read those results?
    Last edited by Cassel; September 25th, 2019 at 03:20 PM.

Post a screen capture or the text from the BlueScreenView of the latest crash event here and we will see what it tells us.

BlueScreen.jpg
    Does that make sense?

0x0000007a could be related to a failing hard disk. Have you run any hardware diagnostics?

No I have not. Can you direct me how to do it?

By the way, I do have 3 hard drives. My C drive is a new SSD. Would that BlueScreenView result point to one in particular?

You didn't state the make/model of your drives. UBCD5 has WD and Seagate diags. Or you can download them from their respective support sites.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...oot-CD-5-Guide
    Post#4 has HD test info

By the way, I do have 3 hard drives. My C drive is a new SSD. Would that BlueScreenView result point to one in particular?
    I can't tell from just your screenshot. I'd run a scan on each drive, just in case.

This link might help:
    https://www.repairwin.com/how-to-ana...luescreenview/

How new is the SSD? Did you do a clean install on the SSD?

BTW, 0x0000007a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR for partmgr.sys is the one that makes me suspect the HD.

How new is the SSD? Did you do a clean install on the SSD?
    It was installed in June and as far as I know, it was a fresh install where my programs were "cloned" onto a brand new drive.

Looking into that other resources you gave. I hope it won't restart in the middle of the night, while it checks!
    Last edited by Cassel; September 25th, 2019 at 10:54 PM.

Oh... checked the drive and it is a Kingston. It says to post here if it is not a WD or a ST. Not sure why.

it was a fresh install where my programs were "cloned" onto a brand new drive.
    If you cloned Windows from another drive onto your SSD, that's not a clean install.

You said you have 3 hard drives. You'd need to run the hard drive diags on those, not the SSD.
    ST = Seagate
    WD = Western Digital

For the SSD, you'd want to run the Kingston SSD Manager. https://www.kingston.com/us/support/...cal/ssdmanager

If you cloned Windows from another drive onto your SSD, that's not a clean install.
    Oh.. i thought it was.

Now, reading the instructions for the other drives to do a test, they are both WD, but i am a little stuck. I don't know how to boot from a USB or a disk as I don't think i have any. Do I need to make one? If so, how?

Did you read the UBCD5 thread? The first post has instructions on creating a boot disc. Post #2 is about creating a bootable flash drive.

You could theoretically run the Windows version of the WD diags, but I prefer to use bootable drives.
    https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL

A "Clean" install is a new installation from a boot disc or drive. Note that if you cloned from a HD to an SSD, the cloning software would also need to align the partitions.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/part...partition.html

Thread Information